Expedition / Navigator

Firestone Wilderness AT 17"

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2001, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Firestone Wilderness AT 17"

Anybody have these tires on their Expedition? If so, how do you like them? I have a brand new 17" AT that I got when I bought my 2000 EB rims and I'm thinking of getting three more when I go to replace the tires on my wifes X. What do you think? Thanks.

------------------
1997 Expedition, 2000 chrome 17" wheels, Superchip, K&N air filter, Gibson Sweptside

Old 02-18-2001, 11:34 AM
Thumbs down

I've personally always stayed away from Firestone. With new issues popping up with other Bridgstone/Firestone tires now, I'd be leary.

If you want to stay with a like OEM look and size, I'd look at Michelin's. Both the A/T and M/S are great. I put 52000 miles on a set of A/T's and they looked really new. The M/S are the same tire with a less agressive tread design which are also a little quieter on the road. Although, the A/T's are not that noisy but the do have a more aggresive tread.

I'm considering new tires for my 2000 EB Expy and I'm looking at Pirelli Scorpion Zero's. OEM on the 2x4 EB is a 275/60/17 so I'm be going with the Pirelli 285/60/17.

The Michelin's aren't a bad price either. You should be able to get them for about $100,and they're very much worth it in ride, handling and durability.

------------------
<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/Expy.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4x2</A>
  • Estate Green
  • 5.4 ltr
  • 3:55 LS rear
  • Superchip!<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/Airaidfr.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
  • Airaid FIPK</A><A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/GibExitFr1.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
  • Gibson S/S Swept Side Cat Back Exhaust</A>
  • Tow Package
  • Rear Load Leveling
  • Moonroof<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/CenturyChildSeat.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
  • Century Child Seat!</A>
  • Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar ordered
  • Front Polyurethane Anti-Sway Bar Bushings ordered

Old 02-18-2001, 11:37 AM
I have 4 sitting in my shed with 5000 miles on them.

I just didn't think construction should be so different on 17s than 15s that these are safe. They were made in N.C. where the expanded recall said 16s were now included and could be defective. The problem is there are alot more 15s and 16s on the road thus even with the same % fallout it appears the 17s are OK. Remember that they were using Goodyears most in 97, 98, 99. I know since my 97 and 99 had Good year 17s. The 2000 I have came with the Firestones and I don't trust them. The NHTAs own spread sheet has 17 inch tire failures listed. See for yourself on their web site.

Look for the spreadsheet. It takes time to download, it's in Excel.

I put on BF Goodriches and love them. Great in the snow up here in the Pocono Mtns. Sure it was a $600 hit but its alot better than a $500 deductable, a screwed up truck, and possibly crapping in a bed pan while accruing monsterous medical bills. (or even worst)

This is my opinion but I believe a slightly educated one once you really research it. BTW, if your going to spend money on three tires anyway we're only talking $150 or less for the 4th tire. For a $150 are you willing to take the chance???

Anyway--please no flames, just my .02--Good luck--Bob

------------------

The vehicle above is one of many. Try refreshing. It goes by random but the Expy was exactly like mine. Now it's a
2000 EB Expedition 5.4L, Estate Green with all the perks,3.55 LS,Heated and Signal Mirrors and Seats Moon Roof. Auto adjusting peddles,seats, and mirrors. Rhino Step Bar (coming), Ford Bug Shield,Even the hitch propeller, More to come... My 99 Expy was destroyed in a Wisconsin Tornado (No B.S.) Allstate did good by me but I still took a hit on mileage.

[This message has been edited by ExpyBob (edited 02-18-2001).]

Old 02-19-2001, 09:55 AM
Red face

When I was shopping around for my '00 EB, I noticed some X's had Firestone AT's and most of the rest had General's. After owning 2 previous Fords with Generals, I've noticed they last about 20-30k before needing replaced. On the otherhand the Firestone thing was very big at the time to so I asked a dealer I almost made a deal with if I could get rid of the Firestones for something else (This was on a fully loaded XLT, not the EB)
The dealer said "Sure we'll replace those for you, for an extra $800"
I Said see ya later, the next day Ford announced .9% @60mos finacing, so we decied to go the extra couple grand for an EB and we're glad we did (Oh and at a different dealer too, a Lincoln dealer)

So I too will be in the market for some 17" in about a year or so (It has the Generals) I think I've head nothing but good things about Michilins, smooth, quiet, long lasting, so that's what I'm gonna get when the need arises.

------------------
2000 EB Expedition Med Wedgewood 5.4L Lmt Slip, LLS, Stock for now except the bug shield, and '99 mudflaps.

Old 02-19-2001, 10:57 AM
I replaced my 17" firestones with BFGoodrich AT/KO's at the end of the summer and i have never had a issue with them. they ride great, they look agressive enough for a expedition and the mileage is great.

------------------
Later,
Scott Schintzius
extremecj@earthlink.net
2000 Ford Expedition Gibson Headers, GMS Mass Airflow Sensor, AirRaid intake, Jet-Hotted Magnaflow exhaust, 265/70R17 BFG AT/KO's, 20% Tint on all windows, PIAA Air Damn, PIAA 510's, PIAA 80's, PIAA 1400's, 3 JL W3 12's Rockford 800a4 and 800a2, MBQuart 6.5 inch components, Eclipse 5.25 components, Etc.
1983 CJ-7 Extreme CJ ZZ4 Crate 350, Ford T-18 Tranny, Atlas 2 3.8, Reverse Cut Dana 60 rear, Dana 44 Front, 6 point cage, Bilstein 7100 Remote resevoir Shocks, 38.5x14.5 SX's on 15x10 Trailready Beadlocks

Old 02-21-2001, 02:06 AM
Location: Beautiful Fort Worth in the Great State of Texas which is part of The Best Country on this Planet Earth, The U.S.A.!
When I was a kid my dad went out and bought a complete set of FS "Metrex" or "Metrix" tires or something like that for our SW before a long summer trip.
We were gone two weeks and 3 of the 4 blew out over a two week span.

When I got older and did not have the money to buy decent tires for my POS 71 Mustang, I bought a set of two of the FS "727" tires for the front beacuse they were real cheap, One blew out within a month and the other blew while going down the highway at about 75 MPH.

Sincve then I have never owned another Fire Stone, Bridge Stone or any off brand tire made by FS and I have never had another blowout.

Coincidence? I think not.

If I were you, I would give that tire to an enemy and let him use it for his spare! hehe

Old 02-21-2001, 06:51 PM
Firestone's suck!! Nuff said!!

Quick Reply: Firestone Wilderness AT 17"