Expedition / Navigator

Superchips module for Expy

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2000, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Superchips module for Expy

Those of you who have them...what are you experiences, opinions, and thoughts regarding the chip?

Does it improve the shift quality of the trans under high loads/full throttle?

Do you have to run premium gas with the revised engine management programming?

Thx.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)
96 Cobra (12.63 @ 114.5)
97 SHO
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.3)
http://members.aol.com/Wa2fsT/index.html

Old 03-15-2000, 10:25 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Wes,

Yes, you do have to run premium gasoline with the Superchip for any vehicle. That is how the engine's raw power is increased, by programming specifically for premium gas. One of the by-products of that is a little bit better gas mileage when you're not using heavy throttle, on the order of 1.5-2.0 for most Expy owners, just like in the F-150's. Your results will depend on how you operate the vehicle, and the energy content of your local fuel supply, as always. The basic tendency is to get a small improvement, when not using heavy throttle. There are some excellent mileage results posted in the Computer Chips section under the thread titled "Superchip=Great MPG".

I know you're looking for feedback directly from owners, so you might want to also ask this up in the Computer Chips section, where most of the Expy owners with Superchips tend to hang out. That'll put you directly in touch with a number of Expedition owners using the Superchip, and you can read their current comments already posted, which have been several just lately, as well as ask more questions of them.

With regards to the shift characteristics, the Superchip does the same thing on the Expeditions and F-150's. It removes the shift delay that elongates and softens the upshift; it removes the power-robbing transitional spark retards that reduce engine power during and just after the upshift, and finally, it also increases line pressure. The end result is that the shifts are quicker and firmer, and you can feel that it has more power during and after the upshift cycle, the vehicle doesn't "nose over" right after hitting 2nd gear from that spark retard anymore. It still shifts nice and smooth on light throttle, and then as you give it porogressively more throttle, the shifts get progressively firmer, just as they should ideally. That way, you don't spoil the smooth character of the vehicle when it's being driven conservatively, yet the slippage is reduced and you get noticeably better acceleration. We're doing basically the same types of mods that we are in your Lightning, in other words, calibrated for the character & usage of the Expedition. Another are that is helped is the downshifts, as those delays are removed also, giving you a quicker downshift, enabling much better passing & "point & squirt" types of moves.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 03-15-2000).]

Old 03-15-2000, 11:01 PM
Wes,

Just ordered one myself from Mike last night. Can't wait. I'll tell you all about it if I get it before you decide to get one.

------------------
Thunder
rainmaker@attglobal.net

Black 97 Expedition EB 5.4L 4WD

pics temporarily available at www.itsaboutthemusicstupid.com

Mods: Lightning front fascia, Clear Corner Lenses, Lightning Wheels, Pirelli Scorpion Zero 285/55VR18, K&N Gen II Kit

Brembo 14" disc brake kit coming right up!!! And hopefully a Lightning engine too!!!

Audio: McIntosh MX406, McIntosh MCD4000, Zapco SX-SL, Zapco EQ30, Genesis Monoblocks (3), Genesis Dual Mono, Dynaudio System 340, Dynaudio System 220, JL Audio Stealthbox

Old 03-16-2000, 12:43 AM
Thanks guys,

Mike should remember me b/c I have one of his Superchips modules in my '99 Lightning, and am very pleased with it.

Just looking for impressions from Expy owners.

Thx.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
96 Cobra (12.63 @ 114.5)
97 SHO

Old 03-16-2000, 08:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed my SuperChip about 2 weeks ago. The very first thing you notice in the tranny shifts; very clean and smooth. I've been doing a "hole shot" from the toll booth on the way to work each day and I'm amazed as it runs through the gears with a nice smooth acceleration cruve. LOVE this thing!
Also, there is a noticable power gain throughout the entire RPM range, not just at WOT (wide open throttle).
Installation went very well, even for a computer geek like me.
Just filled up my 2nd tank with the SuperChip and I plan on watching the mileage this time. Just had too fun fun stompin' on it with the 1st tank!

Also, have ordered Flowmaster 70 series muffler, Airaid intake system, and Edelbrock IAS shocks (swear by those).

The SuperChip is well worth $200 for your truck's power and tranny improvements, and it's whole lotta fun to drive.

------------------
2000 Wedgewood Blue Expy XLT 5.4L

535 Towing package
comfort\convenience group
beige leather
captain's chairs
6 CD Changer
Ford Bug Deflector
Superchip - installed 3/11/2000

Old 03-16-2000, 03:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Been running "chipped" for over a year- or has it been two? Mike? Anyway, the "X" is my wife's and she refuses to let me pull the chip despite the ever-increasing price for 93 octane.

I won't say the transmissions shifts more firmly because it just seems to be "cleaner". The factory program shifts "sluggishly" and the Superchip corrects it. Since my wife only has two speeds- full throttle and stop, I'd say she gives it a good workout. Not to mention the fact that we tow our 3000# boat over the hills of NE OK all summer.

Buy a chip. You'll only be sorry you waited so long!

Neal

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x2 F150 XLT Reg. Cab LWB- 5.4L, Tow Pkg, 3.55LS, CD player,Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, Special Appearance Pkg., tinted windows, Line-X bedliner, and Prime #155 wheels.

http://members.visualcities.com/NoMo

Old 03-16-2000, 03:35 PM
Thumbs down

I hate the idea of using premium gas. Isn't possible to just program a chip for better shift charactistics?

------------------
2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer, 5.4L, towing package, every option but 4x4 and heated seats
Flowmaster Delta Flow 50 series
realv8man@hotmail.com

Trending Topics

Old 03-16-2000, 03:43 PM
Again,

Thanks for all the feedback gentlemen. I haven't even bought an Expy yet...just thinking aloud if/when I do buy one.

I'm glad to read here that the chip is just as effective on these vehicles as it has been on my '99 Lightning.

Anyone want a pristine '97 SHO? ;-)

------------------
Wes Tarbox
96 Cobra (12.63 @ 114.5)
97 SHO

Old 03-16-2000, 07:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

RealV8Man-
If all you want are better shift characteristics, then just buy a "shift kit". But, before you do, think about this:
For approximately $3 more per tank, the Superchip gives you 10% more HP and 10% more torque PLUS better shifts.

Old 03-16-2000, 10:35 PM
Talking

Nomo, thanks for the advice. Maybe if premium comes back down to what I am now paying for regular I will jump on the chip. also I want to put a few K on the new Ex before I get too deep in mods.

Old 03-17-2000, 12:58 AM
Talking

I'v had the Superchip on for a few months now and I love it. I first put on an Airaid, very little improvement. Then the Superchip, very nice improvement(especially the shifting). Then a Magnaflow muffler, Let it breathe, Made a big differnce. I think the trio made all the differnce in the world. I have more torque down low, That's what I wanted. If I can just keep my foot out of it now. MPG is the same, even with my lead foot. So MPG did pick up. Man it sounds good and moves out for 5200#'s.

------------------
99 Expedition XLT
5.4L
4X4
3.73LS
17"AT/S
Airaid Intake
Superchip
Custom Edlebrock shocks
Magnaflow 3"
Helwig Sway Arm
Polk speakers

Old 03-25-2000, 12:49 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
hdlouie made a very good point in his description of how his vehicle responded once he installed the Superchip, and particularly once he had all 3 areas done. Meaning, the chip, the intake and then the exhaust. All 3 of those areas work together extremely well, and once all 3 are done, they feel like the sum total of them adds up to more than what just each mod by itself did, which shows the complimentary nature of those mods.

And Wes, yes of course we remember you very well, always!

RealV8Man,

Yes, it *is* possible to program a Superchip to just have the shift modifications and still run on regular. The most effective way to do that is to use our 2-program Superchip "Flip Chip", and have it set up with one program to be used with regular gasoline, and the other to be used with premium. The Flip Chip (which is what the Lightning Superchip is based on) can store any 2 programs, and allows you to select which program, you're actually running the vehicle on by literally flipping the attached switch. By the time you add the custom programming fees for the regular gas program to the cost of the standard single-program Superchip, you can have the Flip Chip, basically, so that is the way to go, and the *only* way we will supply a program for regular gasoline, just so you get the absolute best value for your money. The way we recommend setting it up is to have *all* of our normal modifications done to *both* programs, with the only difference being that one program can be used with regular gasoline. That program for regular won't have the raw horsepower gain to the engine, perhaps a handful of hp gain at best, but it will still run better and accelerate quicker due to our automatic transmission tuning and the removal of transitional spark retards, etc. This will give you the ultimate flexibility, and allow you to enjoy the Superchip like everyone else.

Please feel free to give us a shout if you'd like detailed info to think about, our number & email are below.

Our bests to all,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Quick Reply: Superchips module for Expy