Expedition / Navigator

'99-00 Lightning wheels on Expy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2000, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '99-00 Lightning wheels on Expy?

Anyone know if these wheels will work? I figure the rear should since the Lightning uses the Expy rear axle/diff assembly, but am not sure if the front would fit right (possibly rubbing inside on the Expy...different spindles used than with the Lightning, I believe).

Thx

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)
96 Cobra (12.63 @ 114.5)
97 SHO
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.3)
http://members.aol.com/Wa2fsT/index.html

Old 03-15-2000, 03:00 AM
Wes,

Sure does! Check the pix in my temporary website in the sig.

By the way, I'm trying to figure out if I can stuff an L's engine into my X. I know that I would need the crate engine, a tranny, the PCM and the speedo cluster and quite possibly the GEM too. I'd also be needing some brackets, pulleys and belts. Any thoughts or experience in something similar?

------------------
Thunder
rainmaker@attglobal.net

Black 97 Expedition EB 5.4L 4WD

pics temporarily available at www.itsaboutthemusicstupid.com

Mods: Lightning front fascia, Clear Corner Lenses, Lightning Wheels, Pirelli Scorpion Zero 285/55VR18, K&N Gen II Kit

Brembo 14" disc brake kit coming right up!!! And hopefully a Lightning engine too!!!

Audio: McIntosh MX406, McIntosh MCD4000, Zapco SX-SL, Zapco EQ30, Genesis Monoblocks (3), Genesis Dual Mono, Dynaudio System 340, Dynaudio System 220, JL Audio Stealthbox

[This message has been edited by Thunder (edited 03-15-2000).]

Old 03-15-2000, 09:29 AM
I saw a website that had the Engine and all the electrics to drop the engine in a f150 or Expedition actually I think it was anything that had the 5.4L already and it would bolt in. Price was $4000.00 and the trans etc was $2000.00. And it all "supposedly" dropped right in.

Old 03-15-2000, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the reply, Thunder!

Your truck looks awesome.

As far as the engine/trans swap...I haven't seen the kit, but I'm sure it can be done. Obviously, there's more to it than bolting on the blower (if nothing else the Lightnings have the lower CR forged pistons), and I know you realize that.

I did a little research after a couple of guys posted about blowers for the 5.4 Expy's and found a neat article on a Kenne Bell blown truck. With only 8psi, they got some great performance gains and the install looks really, really clean. They also modded the exhaust and recalibrated the trans, but said the E4OD would hold up fine. I've done enough blower installs where I wouldn't be intimidated by this one.

Check out the Jan. 2000 issue of Super Ford...its in there.

<Oh, and if you do take a look at pg.34-36 and you'll see someone's dark blue LX>...shameless plug. ;-)

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)
96 Cobra (12.63 @ 114.5)
97 SHO
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.3)
http://members.aol.com/Wa2fsT/index.html

Old 03-15-2000, 11:30 AM
The 99 lightning wheels will fit.... the as I found out the whhels have to be 16 inch diameter, and a max width of 12 inches.
I have 16.5 x 12 rims with 35 x 14.50 tires and it just fits!!!

Old 03-15-2000, 11:15 PM
Slammed,

Are you referring to the Hotrodhotline webpage? I saw that too. It is $4000 but it's missing brackets (to mount the SC in a non SC truck) some pulleys and belts. The tranny is right around $2000. You also have to get the Lightning speedo, lightning ECM and possibly do a custom driveshaft.

I've been checking salvage yards and the price of the complete kit (engine and tranny etc.) started off several months back at $7000...but it's down to about $3000 now...cheaper than getting a supercharger alone!

Wes,

I was considering both the Kenne Bell and the Magnuson (Eaton) for my X if it so happens that I can't push through with the engine swap. It seems though that if I get lucky and am able to get the whole engine and tranny kit from a yard, I'd be saving myself quite a bundle, plus have an extra engine and tranny to boot. If the swap can be done, I also get the added bonus of factory engineering as opposed to an add on SC which wasn't desiged to work with the engine originally.

Still trying to figure some stuff out before I finally push the button...

Some questions outstanding are:
- can the Lightning's PCM/GEM control my X's 4WD? Air suspension?
- what's involved in rewiring the X to accept the PCM of the L?
- Does the PCM communicate with the GEM? If so, will the L's PCM tie in smoothly with the X's GEM?

Still have to sweat the minor details...

Quick Reply: '99-00 Lightning wheels on Expy?