Expedition / Navigator

Gibson Cat-Back on Expy???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2000, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Tenderpaw: The diameter on the 70 series they installed on my Expy was 3". The shop had to swedge the inlet and outlet up to fit. This was not a problem and no extra charge at the local Meineke Shop. The shop needed to build a new inlet to turn the inlet a bit towards the drivers side to place the muffler directly under the heat shield. I was not fond of doing modifications to the heat shield or any other part of my Expy. These guys accomodated me perfectly. The installed price was $169.00. The reatil price on the muffler was $109.00. $60.00 was cheap to have it done correctly. All parts are welded into place, not clamped. The muffler is welded from the factory, so, this Flowmaster is welded in the same manner. It is not worth the aggravation and busted knuckles to do it yourself. I own an outboard performance shop and still found it easier to allow the experts to install it.
D

------------------
2000 EXPY
Chipped, K&N, Loaded
super-chip@abac.com
Http://www.super-chip.com

Old 03-15-2000, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

The muffler fit perfectly under the existing heat shield. No mods. The dealer and Flowmaster techs told me that the 70 series was the quietest Flowmaster that they sold. The 50 series is a bit louder than the 70 series. I find that the 70 series sounds perfect. Not obtrusive, just a low mellow rumble at low end and while accelerating.
Gets very quiet at highway speeds and during decelleration.
DT

Old 03-15-2000, 08:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tenderpaw-
Sorry for any confusion. ddracing it exactly correct. One the 2K Expy, there at 2&3/4" pipes; so, that requires a 3" muffler that is "swedged" at the ends by the muffler shop (my local Midas shop told me the same thing). Especially due to the welds and the nature of the job (not to mention my lack of experience), I'm definitely having the muffler shop do it. $50-$60 well spent.

Thanx for keeping my straight, ddracing.

------------------
2000 Wedgewood Blue Expy XLT 5.4L

535 Towing package
comfort\convenience group
beige leather
captain's chairs
6 CD Changer
Ford Bug Deflector
Superchip - installed 3/11/2000

Quick Reply: Gibson Cat-Back on Expy???