Expedition / Navigator

Hard to accelerate while turning!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to accelerate while turning!!

Hey everyone, I have a 98 navigator with 4x4. The problem im having is when im in (4hi), its hard to accelerate when im turning. Like pulling into a parking spot. It felt like I had a flat tire. It also makes a slight humming noise when Im going down the road at normal speeds. It all goes away when I go into (2hi). Ive been using (4hi) an awful lot. Is that bad? Should I use (A4WD)? I live in the northeast and we were just hit with a pretty bad snow and ice storm. Any help is greatly appreciated. God Bless!!

Old 02-18-2007, 02:05 AM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When in 4x4, your turning radius is cut in half. I cant explain it all the way, but when your locked, the front axles tend to bind up. These trucks were designed poorly for 4x4. When making tights turns, put her in 2x4.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have much experiance with four wheel drive vehicles. This '06 Expy is my second, to a beat up Toyota pick-up that I had for a beater a couple years ago.

In this past snow storm we had on Valentines day, I put put the Expy in A4WD and it worked very well. There were a couple times that I had to drive in some deep snow, or piles of snow left by the plow, and was able to proceede without any problems.

I tend to believe, with my limited experience and knowlege, that for snow A4WD is adeqate and 4H might be better suited to mud like terrain. I'm not sure that I will ever be in a situation that I will need 4L, at least not as long as I'm making payments on the behemouth.

Quick Reply: Hard to accelerate while turning!!