Expedition / Navigator

A/C & Vent blowing hot air

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C & Vent blowing hot air

I have a 99 Expedition. At times the A/C blows cold, but other times, I hear a flap close behind the dash and it suddenly blows hot air. If I turn the Vent to just bring air from the outside, it will still blow hot air. The A/C in the rear blows very cold air, so I know that the A/C is working.

Anybody point me in the right direction?

Old 02-21-2003, 09:20 PM
Just talked to a guy who works on these things, he said that they used R12 in the rear and R134 for the front so it is on 2 different systems. So I guess my problem is still with the flap.

Any ideas?

Old 02-23-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by 99 Bauer
Just talked to a guy who works on these things, he said that they used R12 in the rear and R134 for the front so it is on 2 different systems.

Whoa, he could have not been anymore wrong. Think about it, theres only one compressor. Look under the hood at the accumulator, you will see the lines split.

But anyway, you have a broken blend door in the heater plenum it sounds like. You need to get someone to pull the 19E616 (actuator) off the bottom of the plenum and see if the "D" slot in the door is cracked. I bet it is.

Old 02-23-2003, 07:28 PM
Looks like you are the only one replying.

You think you could tell me the area I need to look? This isn't a "remove the dash" type of job is it?

Thanks in advance

Old 02-23-2003, 09:17 PM
Lightbulb Possibility that its the "Blend Door"

99 Bauer,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is the possibility the the "Blend Door" is broken, like "kidtriton" stated. I am not sure about what he stated :

"But anyway, you have a broken blend door in the heater plenum it sounds like. You need to get someone to pull the 19E616 (actuator) off the bottom of the plenum and see if the "D" slot in the door is cracked. I bet it is."

.....but I bet he's right. Another thing to do, and I hate to say it, is to take it to the dealership, or someone who can hook up a computer module and read the codes. If it come back with NO codes then there is a good chance that this is the problem. Note: There is a test proceedure that you can do yourself to your A/C (Heater) system if you have the "Automatic Temperature Control" system. I tried to find the link but can't. I can't remember the exact procedure but it's something like pressing and holding the "AUTOMATIC" button and pressing the "OFF" button (not sure though).

Here is a few links whenever I had my delima:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=96122

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=96994

I hope that this will help you out.

Old 02-23-2003, 09:53 PM
IF you hear the flapping, it is the blend door broken, yes you have to access the dash to get to it. Usually about 8 hours of labor at the dealer.

Quick Reply: A/C & Vent blowing hot air