Has anyone just replaced muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone just replaced muffler?

When I get my Super Crew (waiting for 03's to come out), I was going to just replace the muffler and leave the stock pipe. I measured the muffler on an SC I saw at work and that sucker was 32" long, Holy Cow! After all the mufflers (5) I've tried on my Silverado and pipe variations, I'm going with a Magnaflow muffler and stock pipe. I'm not going to waste the time and money I have on my current truck. I looked on the Magnaflow website and will probably get their longest 6" round muffler and have it installed in the stock mufflers place. I want to keep my low end and have quiet performance, which the Magnaflow on my Silverado delivers. Has any one else done this? I would like opinions on this since the Ford 5.4L will be new to me.
Thanks, Jim

Last edited by FutureCrewOwner; 07-17-2002 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:28 PM
Muffler swap

I have a DYNOMAX #17734 Super Turbo muffler. It ihas a 2.5" inlet/outlet. I had an 18" Aluminized Intermediate pipe added just forward of the muffler. Including the Stainless Steel tip, it ran me $95 after tax.

It looks almost stock, and I dropped about 20 pounds, after ditching the stock muffler. It has a nice mellow tone at 70 mph, on the Highway.

Be careful, F-150's need a certain amount of Back Pressure. A Magnaflow may drop your bottom end power, a little too much for your taste.

R1968

Last edited by Ranchero1968; 07-16-2002 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:22 PM
I got a flow master 40 series muffler put on and put a tip on it as well. Left everything else stock and it cost me about 55-65 bucks.

If I did it over again the only thing I'd probably change is I'd put on a seperate Y-Pipe as well.

Still, I didn't loose low end torque and my truck sounds sweet when you drive it. I never really knew how good it sounded until my dad turned it on in the morning one day cause he was going to use it. My bed is above the garage and it woke me up and then he reved it a bit and It was sounding sweet. I also have a K&N in it which helps with the sound, but I have to say overall I really like what I did and at the price I couldn't really go wrong.

Quick Reply: Has anyone just replaced muffler?