Installing Gibson sweptside

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing Gibson sweptside

I bought a Gibson sweptside exhaust today from 4 Wheel Parts and I have an appointment to get it installed on Sunday. To have it installed, the labor is going to be $100. I looked at the Gibson website again when I got home, and it said that these exhausts are simple to put on with no welding necessary. After I saw that, I'm wondering if I should try to put it on myself and save 100 bucks. If anyone has installed one of these or has any experience with them, please let me know if I should try this install in my driveway or let the pros do it. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2002, 02:20 AM
Take that $100 and start thinking about your next mod!

I bought a Gisbon Supertruck but wasn't sure if I could do the install. After reading the instructions carefully and checking out their website, it was a breeze. The hardest part will be getting the rubber grommets off but even that will be a cinch with a little elbow grease. I say go for it.

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2002, 02:50 AM
Cool Do it!!!

Gibson's exhaust is so easy to put on do not pay someone unless you want it welded up. My .02

Old 07-12-2002, 12:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I attempted to do this exact install myself in my garage. I didn't have a sawzall and the stock pipes would not come off, even though they are only clamped. After 45 minutes of staring up at it and getting all kinds of crap rain down on me, I just packed it up and took it in.

The guy wanted $30 and if I could "pay in cash, that would be better". Well, I only had a $20 dollar bill, so he said I'll take it....... I'm sure he just put it in his own pocket when I left, but I didn't care. I had my old exhaust off and the new one on in about a half an hour. Plus, he welded all the joints, except the tip. I didn't want it welded, so I could take it off to polish from time to time.........

Old 07-12-2002, 03:54 PM
I had a similar experience to the one 'MitchF150' had. I spent about an hour attempting to take my stock muffler off. The problem was that the pipe clamp that was installed at the factory was put on so tight that it bent both the outter and inner pipes. I ended up driving it down to a local muffler shop and had them cut the pipe so the stock muffler would come off. I drove it home with no muffler (alot quieter than I had expected). It only took me about 30 minutes to install my Gibson Super Truck exhause after that.

Old 07-12-2002, 05:04 PM
Smile

Install it yourself. Save the $100.

I installed mine in about 2.5 hrs and I cut the factory exhaust off with a hacksaw. I installed my Gibson when I had about 2,000 miles on my truck. Easy install.

Old 07-18-2002, 01:19 AM
Cool

gdubb8 though I did not install my swept side I did help a buddy with his and was pretty easy. I ordered my from truck performance .com and paid a shop $50 to install it and I have been very happy with it. My buddy and I took 45min with 2 beer breaks to put his in.

Trending Topics

Old 07-18-2002, 09:19 AM
It took me about 45 minutes to remove the old and install the new. Before you start, spray some liquid wrench in all the hangers to loosen them up. Spray the bolts on the clamps first too. Then, use a big pair of pliars to force the hangers through the rubber holders. To get the factory muffler pipe off off, I hung onto a cross member and used my legs to push it off. Just be sure to cover your eyes, as allot of dirt, etc. will fall on you.

Good Luck,
Jim

Quick Reply: Installing Gibson sweptside