NYS with California Emissions cat issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYS with California Emissions cat issue

If this has been discussed before, I apologize. I searched forum and several other websites and can't seem to find an answer to my issue.

I have an 07 F150 STX (4.6l). I live in NY and have California emissions on my truck. The driver side cat need to be replaced, but the Carb compliant one costs $1066 dollars (for an exact fit one, I am not really wanting a universal one). I can get a non carb compliant one for under $200. Will my truck still pass inspection? I am not concerned about a visual inspection, because where I take my truck it wont matter, all I care about is if it will pass the computer test.

My assumption is that it will not matter since before 2014 I would have been able to use a federal emissions Cat. Just looking for advise before I by the cheap one to realize that I didn't solve the problem.

Thanks

Old 06-07-2016, 01:07 PM
Hopefully someone with a more sure fire answer will drop in, but my thought on that is, your car has to pass the emissions test for the year in which it was produced. Ex. You wouldn't expect a 72 GTO to pass emissions the same way as a 2016 Prius. Huge gap I know, but same concept applies. If it was a 2014 or newer, then you might have to go with the CARB compliant one, but you should be safe with the non-CARB. Hope this helps some.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
I can get a non carb compliant one for under $200. Will my truck still pass inspection? I am not concerned about a visual inspection, because where I take my truck it wont matter, all I care about is if it will pass the computer test.
The truck's computer won't know the difference between a CARB and a non-CARB converter.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:45 AM
I thought too the computer can't differentiate the two system, unless they have strict physical inspection. If I were you I would go with non carb compliant.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:26 PM
That was my thought too, just wanted to make sure. Thanks everyone, I will try to update after I find out for sure in case anyone else is having the same issue.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:40 PM
I'll be watching this one...I'm in California, have a bad drivers side cat, no aftermarket approved in this state for the 05-06 (I keep checking the Air Resource Board website), and have been considering making a trip into Nevada and buying new cats...the first time I posed this question, the response is that it wouldn't work...I kinda think its like a thermos keeping the hot things hot, and cold things cold? How do it know?

I could walk into an O'reilleys in Reno and buy a magnaflow direct fit (both sides) for less than the current $ 2,580 ea for the Ford OEM....

Old 06-09-2016, 05:30 PM
When I was looking for my answer I found a lot of stuff about California laws and it appears that in Cali they do a visual inspection of the cat which should have specific numbers on it (unless you know someone). I also think in Cali that they do an exhaust check which they dont do in NY so I am not sure that it will be that easy for you. Either way, I am not familiar with Cali inspections so I could be wrong. I will be ordering the cat tomorrow and it takes about a week to get so I will let you know when I find out if it works in NY.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:49 PM
My last smog check they did an OBD check not a tail pipe check...I think they did visual, and then plugged it in...no codes, so it passed...

I am running the Gotts O2 mod on the cat that is bad...I just removed the mod before taking it in...usually takes about 50-100 miles to trip the code...

Good luck with the new cats, and follow up to let us all know it they work out...

The CARB approved cats are supposed to be stamped with a CARB number...

Old 06-11-2016, 10:18 PM
After market cats are smaller in size compared to California own cats. Running any type of mods may cause damage if truck is not re tuned. Having a smaller cat will cause you to expel more emissions. Now with that being said, the local state should pass you I'd emissions are not as strict as they are for me here in California. Also the reason why they are 3k a piece is because they are welded to the exhaust manifolds so that they can't steal your cats. Maybe search online for a PAIR of used from a pick you part. If you replace one the engine may lean out on one side which could also cause damage. Check with your local smog check before investing, maybe get High flow cat system before smogging...better performance and new cats!

Old 06-17-2016, 11:53 AM
just a thought, my dad has a toyota tundra with california emissions and the dealer told him that the cats are the same but the ecm looks for a higher conversion efficiency across the o2 sensors than a 49 state truck would, it wants to see 98% efficiency instead of the 90% the 49 state trucks look for. however being a toyota it might be different, but something to consider. he ended up buying an aftermarket direct replacement and they said it would be fine but they may not last as long.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:02 AM
I switched the cat about a week ago and just hit 95 miles on it. Still no light so I woukd assume I am good with the 49 state cat... I shoukd be getting it inspected in the next couple days. Will let you know.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:18 AM
Please report back at 500 miles! I'm watching!
Regarding the CA stuff...I believe that the reason the particular aftermarkets are not allowed is for a failure to set check engine lights...

Would like to see Magnaflow chime in on this...since they are active on this site...Ford's prices for the only CA legal cat are criminal...

Old 07-03-2016, 12:19 AM
Well, I am up to about 150 miles with mo issues. My truck did pass NY inspection, but as I said in my original post, he would look at the cat to see if it was the correct one or not. As far as the co.puter stuff it is all good. I will update at 500 or so miles, but it will take me a few weeks to put on that many miles. BTW, for those who are wondering, I have an 07 4.6l and used the following cat: Walker 53869.

Quick Reply: NYS with California Emissions cat issue