Manifold bolts...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manifold bolts...

I'm in need of some strong advice. I was just about ready to order a set of Dynatech Supermaxx headers with catted mid pipe. I started to spray down the nuts and studs I could easily see (truck sits around a lot so there was no rush to this). Today I climb under and look all around, removed passenger wheel well liner and to my dismay only see 3 studs. The front passenger side top stud is gone. I hope for the best thinking it somehow backed out, I grab a nail to check and my fear comes true. It's broken at the head. I go to the driver's side, stick my head in the wheel well, and sure enough the rear top stud is gone, and sadly broken at the head, too. I crawl under and the lower rear is missing and broken. 3 broken studs, from who knows what. They've never been wrenched on. Truck is a 2008 5.4L. My thought is if 3 broke off from vibration or whatever, what are the chances more will break under torque while removing them? I'm not really asking how to remove them, I've seen the sticky on broken exhaust manifold studs. I'm more wondering is it worth my hassle. I don't have a lift, it's in my driveway. I'm somewhat comfortable working on my truck, but as with many, frustration leads to smashed knuckles and broken parts, and the occasional spilt beer. Is the cost of a shop doing it worth every penny, especially with 3 confirmed broken studs and likely more to follow?

Old 07-19-2016, 11:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unfortunately probably all of them will break. I'm in the same boat tempting to try on my own or just have an experienced tech do the manifold replacement.

Quick Reply: Manifold bolts...