Would 45'd behind the tires sound different than sotb?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would 45'd behind the tires sound different than sotb?

So after four years with my ROR kit, I'm fed up with it's crap quality and lethargic sound. I know some folks will hate me for saying this but... but I have always been a flowmaster guy and after hearing my brother's truck with a sido super 10 im sold. It's slightly more aggressive than my ROR and a bit louder and I think it is exactly what I've been needing on my truck. My question is that I've heard that there can be a different sound between 45ing it or sotb even if the engine and exhaust are all the same otherwise. What do you guys think?

Old 06-01-2015, 08:13 PM
They definitely sound different, personally I prefer the sound of 45'd tips verus sotb. Without taking drone into consideration, the sound you hear is once the exhaust exits the tip so single out the back the sound is coming out the back of the truck, whereas with 45'd tips the sound is coming more from the sides, on both sides. With 45'd tips the exhaust will echo off of anything beside you as well but with sotb there's really nothing for it to echo off of.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:23 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
If you tow a trailer, get 45's behind the rear wheels - SOTB and trailers gets ugly.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:39 AM
Ok so I doubt one way would actually be louder than the other, but 45'd should maybe project the sound more fully? Do ya'll think it would still be as loud to the guy behind me (so to speak) as sotb would be?

Old 06-03-2015, 10:36 AM
45'd will be louder to you because the sound is being projected closer unless theres someone tailgaiting you to project the sound back to you. Sotb will be louder to the person behind you since the sound is being projected torwards them.

If you want to get a quick idea, start your truck and stand behind it. Then move around the side of the bed where a 45 would exit, you'll notice a slight drop in how loud it is because the exhaust is being projected in a different direction, the same concept applies just on a larger scale.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:52 PM
Ha ha, don't know why I never thought of such a simple test. Yes it is a touch quieter from around the side but not much. Ok so really not a huge difference sound wise one way or the other. I do prefer the looks of 45'd but I have to decide if I want even more of a headache keeping the tips polished than I do now. Thanks for the replies guys.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
They definitely sound different, personally I prefer the sound of 45'd tips verus sotb. Without taking drone into consideration, the sound you hear is once the exhaust exits the tip so single out the back the sound is coming out the back of the truck, whereas with 45'd tips the sound is coming more from the sides, on both sides. With 45'd tips the exhaust will echo off of anything beside you as well but with sotb there's really nothing for it to echo off of.
Originally Posted by glc
If you tow a trailer, get 45's behind the rear wheels - SOTB and trailers gets ugly.
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
45'd will be louder to you because the sound is being projected closer unless theres someone tailgaiting you to project the sound back to you. Sotb will be louder to the person behind you since the sound is being projected torwards them.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Quick Reply: Would 45'd behind the tires sound different than sotb?