Borla XR1 or Magnapack

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla XR1 or Magnapack

I posted a thread similar to this a couple years ago but that was for my other truck so I'm starting a new one. I got rid of my 75 F100 due to a bad frame, and have since bought a 78 F250 with a 351m in it. A few years down the road I'd like to have a 400 built for it but this is what I have for now. I'll throw on a set of headers, an intake, and a 4v carb on it in the spring, and I've narrowed my search of mufflers down to two, the borla xr1 and magnapack. I just to know if there is actually any difference in sound from the two, when both are stainless steel, and have the same internal design. I'd rather spend $100 on a pair of magnaflows, than $200 on borlas unless the latter is that much better. Keep in mind this exhaust will not include anything more than headers, pipe, and mufflers so it will be pure unaltered exhaust. Let me know what your opinion is!

Here's the truck btw:

Old 12-04-2014, 04:35 PM
I would probably guess most will say Borla. My brother liked Thrush Welded on the 351 he had. Nice looking beast you have there. I have a 351m in my '79 Bronco as well. I bought 29" glass packs from summit, so I could get free shipping with my timing chain order. Haven't been able to get the time to install them though. Been learning a good deal about these motors lately, hanging out at http://www.fullsizebronco.com. If the mileage is high, and the timing chain is believed to be original, I would swap it out for a good one. I put a summit branded one in mine. It helps eliminate the 4 degree retard Ford put into the timing, for emissions. It will wake that motor up a good deal, with the other mods you mentioned. When ready for that 400 build, you want to give tmeyer a call. http://www.tmeyerinc.com

Last edited by dewalt17; 12-04-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let us know what you go with.... I have a 1978 Bronco and it'll be needing some love soon too.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:36 AM
My bronco needs more than love. At this point, it needs a miracle.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's my 1978 Bronco XLT w/ Free Wheeling Option (AKA: The Burp)

Old 12-05-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I like spintech mufflers on the old push rod fords. Straight through and nice sounding. Have a fuller chambered sound to them.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
I like spintech mufflers on the old push rod fords. Straight through and nice sounding. Have a fuller chambered sound to them.
I've considered them in the past but we don't sell them at summit so I can't get a discount on them.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Yep I know about Tim and I'll be using his pistons for the build when the time comes. For now it'll just be the intake manifold swap, quickfuel carb, and headers for the 351m. I may do a cam swap though to solve the factory retard problem since the cam itself was retarded.

Since no one has provided any evidence that the borlas will be any better sounding I'll probably go with magnaflows but we'll see. I'll probably be using my tax return to fund all this.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Magnapacks..I have them on my 02 F150 (cats) and my 03 Mach 1 (O/R X pipe), love the sound .
If you need sound clip, let me know. Mach is headers with pipe as mentioned into Magnapacks..thats it.
Just keep in mind your sound will be different since I have a 4V motor, but really deep muscle sound.

I LOVE that truck BTW, I have had 3 1979 F100 and looking for another one, last one had a 351M and I swapped in a 5.0 out of a 87 Mustang GT.

Last edited by Mach 1; 12-10-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by nw150
Yep I know about Tim and I'll be using his pistons for the build when the time comes. For now it'll just be the intake manifold swap, quickfuel carb, and headers for the 351m. I may do a cam swap though to solve the factory retard problem since the cam itself was retarded.

Since no one has provided any evidence that the borlas will be any better sounding I'll probably go with magnaflows but we'll see. I'll probably be using my tax return to fund all this.
An adjustable timing chain, installed straight up, removes the 4 degrees of retarded timing, from everything I have read up on the subject. A new cam does help, quite a bit, too. But then you have to be careful not to get one with too much lift, or you have to tear into the heads. That is what kept me from messing with the cam.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:34 PM

Borla hands down, it's not even a question. I have a Borla, long tubes, no cats, all 304 SS on my 2006 5.4 and will never buy anything else. Personally, and others that own Magnapacks, including DarrenWS6, will agree with me, I don't think that Magnaflow mufflers sound as good. They produce an odd sound that I find annoying at low RPM and they just don't sound right to me. However, they are a much better value. The price of a Borla is hard to swallow, but I'm so picky that it's worth not having to do it twice when I'm not happy with it.

They may sound better on older engines, but I've yet to hear one I really liked on any modern truck. I've heard old muscle cars that sound great with Maggies, but I've never heard one with a Borla, not that I took particular notice of anyway. But based on how they each sound on new trucks, I'll stick to Borla. Borlas probably sound the best on everything.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 12-10-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Mach 1
Magnapacks..I have them on my 02 F150 (cats) and my 03 Mach 1 (O/R X pipe), love the sound .
If you need sound clip, let me know. Mach is headers with pipe as mentioned into Magnapacks..thats it.
Just keep in mind your sound will be different since I have a 4V motor, but really deep muscle sound.

I LOVE that truck BTW, I have had 3 1979 F100 and looking for another one, last one had a 351M and I swapped in a 5.0 out of a 87 Mustang GT.
Thanks! Yea post a link to the video if you get the chance.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Borla hands down, it's not even a question. I have a Borla, long tubes, no cats, all 304 SS on my 2006 5.4 and will never buy anything else. Personally, and others that own Magnapacks, including DarrenWS6, will agree with me, I don't think that Magnaflow mufflers sound as good. They produce an odd sound that I find annoying at low RPM and they just don't sound right to me. However, they are a much better value. The price of a Borla is hard to swallow, but I'm so picky that it's worth not having to do it twice when I'm not happy with it.

They may sound better on older engines, but I've yet to hear one I really liked on any modern truck. I've heard old muscle cars that sound great with Maggies, but I've never heard one with a Borla, not that I took particular notice of anyway. But based on how they each sound on new trucks, I'll stick to Borla. Borlas probably sound the best on everything.
Yea even using my summit discount, two magnapacks come out to about $97 and two borlas come out to about $195. Then I've got another $187 in headers, $50+ in tips, and probably another $50 or so in pipe, the clamps, hangers, etc. I am leaning towards borla though.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by dewalt17
An adjustable timing chain, installed straight up, removes the 4 degrees of retarded timing, from everything I have read up on the subject. A new cam does help, quite a bit, too. But then you have to be careful not to get one with too much lift, or you have to tear into the heads. That is what kept me from messing with the cam.
Depending on my job situation since I may be working somewhere else that pays significantly more in the spring, I've been pondering the thought of swapping in a 460 with 9.5:1ish c/r and a few other upgrades. Then it's a whole new ballgame.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by nw150
Yea even using my summit discount, two magnapacks come out to about $97 and two borlas come out to about $195. Then I've got another $187 in headers, $50+ in tips, and probably another $50 or so in pipe, the clamps, hangers, etc. I am leaning towards borla though.
I'm so jealous . . . I've got $1400 in just parts for my exhaust. Kinda regret spending so much on it. The older trucks sound better and are way easier to work on too. Definitely looking forward to seeing (hearing) the final product.

Quick Reply: Borla XR1 or Magnapack