Volant intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volant intake

2003 f150 4.6. I was looking at the Volant intake with the closed box. I was reading post where it gets bad reviews. But guys swear by the Gotts mod. You would think the Volant is the same concept but should only be better. High flow filter,smooth intake tube,mounts right up to the fender. Is it the price why guys say its no good. Found one for $240. I just don't like the way the stock intake looks after market intakes clean up the engine bay. Also it seems the AF1 gets the best reviews around here

Old 03-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pipejob1
2003 f150 4.6. I was looking at the Volant intake with the closed box. I was reading post where it gets bad reviews. But guys swear by the Gotts mod. You would think the Volant is the same concept but should only be better. High flow filter,smooth intake tube,mounts right up to the fender. Is it the price why guys say its no good. Found one for $240. I just don't like the way the stock intake looks after market intakes clean up the engine bay. Also it seems the AF1 gets the best reviews around here
Hi.

AF1 is out of business.

Yer willing to spend $240 just for looks? As there is No performance benefit over a ~$10 Gotts modification. The stock intake already outflows the needs of a stock engine except for a tiny bit up top, where the Gotts helps out.

Volant gets poor reviews for a reason. Just plug in my screenname and Volant into Advanced Search

If yer looking fer tangible gains, apply that $240 ( and add approx $160 ) towards a custom-tuned SCT flash programmer.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-09-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Agreed. I bought the Voljunk and put it on my 6.2. The problem was that the air box has a gapping big hole on the side that runs half way around the darn thing. How can they call it a "Cold air" intake when it allows hot air from the engine compartment to enter? Not only did I not see an improvement, I actually lost performance because of the hot air. My gas mileage dropped as well. The Gotts Mod basically is removing the silencer from the stock air box. What I did, I removed the Voljunk air box but left the intake tube on, and reinstalled the stock air box with the silencer tube. I cut the bottom out of the air box to allow more air in. I got the lost performance and gas mileage back, and then maybe a bit more. You would think by cutting the hole in the bottom of the stock unit that I would be doing the same thing as the hole in the Voljunk box. But, I have a SCT Livewire that I leave hooked up for the gauges. I have it set up with the tach. dial, engine temp., and air intake temp.. Once I'm on the move the air intake temp. registers the same, or a bit lower than the ambient outside temp. that I have on my Nav.. Does it help performance or mpg? Don't know? But it surely is better than the VolJunk.........

Last edited by Scarlet; 03-09-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:39 PM
After i do the exhaust and a couple of other bolt on JDM will be tuning it.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:43 PM
I also just scored on ebay from a store a brand new AF1 intake still in the box with everything in it. for $100 i dont think that was a bad deal

Quick Reply: Volant intake