Check my numbers, please

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check my numbers, please

Hi All,
Been doing research on an exhaust setup for my 2009 4.6-3V. I have used the search function, read the sticky, googled, you-tubed, etc, but would like some informed feedback on where I'm at so far.

I plan to run a cat-back, SI/DO, exiting straight back with slash tips.
Am I correct that 3" inlet, 2.5" outlets is the best choice?

I am leaning towards Magnaflow, which, in 3"/2.5" now gives me the option of 14", 18" or 22" length mufflers (P/N's 12198, 12288, 12388?). Shorter = louder, correct? Or do I have that backwards? Any other considerations for choosing length?

Finally, probably my most dumb question...inlet diameter on my tips needs to match outlet diameter on my muffler, correct?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Old 04-18-2013, 03:33 PM

As far as I know, all of that checks out. Shorter does = louder, but a 14" is still pretty sizable. 3 in 2.5 out is a good setup. How loud are you looking for it to be?

Old 04-18-2013, 05:01 PM
How loud do I want it? Well, I guess my best answer is a terrible one, but best I can come up with...not obnoxious but louder and more huevos than stock. Since anything will be louder than stock and obnoxious is a purely relative term, I imagine that answer is useless!!
Maybe someone will weigh in on how much difference 4" between same make & model of mufflers.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
keep the intermediate piping no larger than 3" and dual piping no bigger than 2.5"

get some nice sized tips to get the sound out....

Old 04-18-2013, 05:40 PM

Hmm . . . check out some of the exhaust threads and maybe listen to some youtube videos of exhaust clips to see what you like. I'm not much help because I have a tiny little muffler and it's not loud enough for me haha. Do you think you want an exhaust that is only really noticeable with the windows down? And is mild "drone" something you can live with?

You can get more detailed descriptions from guys that actually have each different exhaust one their trucks, as well as how they like 14" Magnaflows. I can only really attest to my offroad Roush set up, which is on the boundary of obnoxious, if not already passed it.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the input guys!

KMAC -You got it about right with..."only really noticeable with the windows down." Taking into account long trips with the wife and 2 year old, I think that's a prudent choice (although there are many times on those trips when I wish I had...you get the picture!) As for drone...I get the concept of it but can't say I've ever heard it, so I guess I will find out if I can live with it, if I end up experiencing it.

Now that I have some p/n's to reference I'm back in the saddle with searching and youtubing.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:29 PM

Sounds good! Let us know what you end up deciding! I think the 14" Magna would be good for only windows down noticeability. Should have a nice note, but not too loud. And any exhaust that is only noticeable with the windows down shouldn't have any (or very little) drone, so you should be good on that front!

Quick Reply: Check my numbers, please