Dual glasspacks????

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 06:58 PM
JDm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual glasspacks????

Well i kinda wanted to cut off the factory Y and put in a new X and just have straight pipes run from there to tha back, but im worryed that it would not be that deep in tone. So if i got tha new X pipe and had dual glasspacks added would that make it deeper in tone or would it make much of a differance at all? Oh and by tha way my truck is a 1999 reg cab V6.

thanks in advance,
J.D.

Old 08-15-2001, 12:02 PM
JDm
anyone???

Old 08-18-2001, 03:46 PM
JDm
Unhappy

thanks everybody

Old 08-18-2001, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X pipe

JDm, did you have a particular X pipe in mind for your truck? I was surfing the other night and saw the Dr. Gas X pipe at the spintech mufflers website, It's a thing of beauty let me tell you ! I'm not sure I'd use glasspacks to get a deeper sound, you'll get the sound you want but the glasspacks are really not that efficient despite the straight flowing design.

I would run the pipes straight to the back after the X pipe and add on a pair of echo cans or some type of tip mufflers to the ends. This would still give you a nice deep sound without sacrificng any of the performance gains. I'm no exhaust expert but I can tell you what has worked for me in the past. Also, tip mufflers are a snap to change if you want to experiment with different ones in the future.

I can't believe that so many guys here can run straight pipes without being hassled by the man. In this state we have incredibly strict (read **** retentive) state mandated vehicle inspections. They make you put your car or truck on a dyno to check for pollution and do'nt even have the decency to give you a printout slip with your HP and Torque numbers. I could imagine the look on the inspectors face when he sticks the mirror under my truck If I tried going through inspection with straight pipes LOL.

True duals with an X pipe will probaly be my first mod but I'm hesitant because of the fine tooth comb type inspection.

Good luck and I hope this helps you some. Maybe others with more exprience will chime in and contribute. C ya!

Old 08-19-2001, 01:08 PM
JDm
What are "echo cans" and where can i get them, and how much

Old 08-19-2001, 09:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi JDm, echo cans are a section of oversized pipe attached to the ends of the exhaust pipes. They are like tip mufflers but without any baffles or internal components just plain pipe, usually chromed. We would put them on our cruisers( old mercuries, belairs, and oldsmobiles) you can experiment with length and diameter till you get the sound you want.

We used to find pipe adapters at Napa stores and make them up with regular exhaust pipe and clamps because it's low tech and relatively inexpensive. When you found the combination of length and diameter that produced the sound you liked, you would have a pair welded to the same specs and sent out to be chromed.

Some guys liked a barking sound while others preffered a popping effect. Regardless, they enhance performance by scavenging exhaust gases. I remember one of the most popular combos being 2 3/4" stepped up to 3 1/2" and about 8" long. Keep in mind that these were big displacement V-8s so you'll have to find the combo you like. BTW, I think JC Whitney Has tip mufflers if you decide to go that route.

Good luck, let us know how things turn out.

Quick Reply: Dual glasspacks????