Flowmaster 40 series not that loud?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flowmaster 40 series not that loud?

I have a 2001 F150 with the triton V8 off road package. I had a flowmaster 40 series put on and it was spouted down right after the muffler instead of putting tips on. It sounds deep but it's not loud by any means, is there a reason why? Is there anything I can add to the muffler to to make it sound louder?

Old 08-13-2001, 02:43 PM
Wink

Two of my friends have put Flow 40s on their trucks. One is a 2001 F-150 5.4L and the other is a Dodge Dakota 5.9L. However, both sound extremely different. For Obvious Reasons!

Yes, I agree with the Ford 5.4L. It was not that loud at all. This is a Flowmaster 40 SI/DO setup. No Intake mods at all.

But the Dodge 5.9L is a true dual setup. He also installed a K&N Gen II air intake, throttle Body, Headers, and Cam. ???!!! His truck redefines aggressive exhaust. This truck snarls and popped at idle like a monster eager to be unleashed, and when it accelerated, it turned heads with amazement. When he steped on it, It defies words. OH MY GOD! Can you Say NASCAR.

I hope this helps. Words can never truely live up to the experience.

I was concidering equiping my 2000 F-150 5.4L with a DYNOMAX Ultraflow with headers but after hearing the true dual Flow 40s and the rest of his setup, I am now saving for the "Whole Enchilada!" If you could here this truck, You too would say, "That is exactly what I want my truck to sound like!"

So, If you can afford an after market intake, a better breathing engine should add to the intensity of your exhaust tone.

Old 08-13-2001, 10:40 PM
Question New intake?

So would I just have to buy like a K&N airfilter or replace the entire system, and would it truly make a difference to justify the cost? And would you happen to know what it would cost to replace the entire intake?

Old 08-15-2001, 08:45 AM
Wink

There are a couple of choices if you do decide to put an aftermarket filter on your ride. You can replace the factory filter with just the K&N filter. It will run you in the realm of $40 - $50. But if you are looking to possibly increase horsepower, K&N claims to achieve an increase of 10 - 20+ hp, depending on how restrictive your factory air intake is. So, if you are looking for a better tone from the tail and a possibility to squeeze out a few extra ponies, I personally would go with the K&N FIPK (Fuel Injection Performance Kit). http://www.knfilters.com/fipk.htm

In addition, there are other Air intake systems to choose from, Depending on where you live, the prices can vary. Shop around. They are in the ballpark of around $240.00. The choice is yours. Let me know what you decide and if you do get the FIPK, how did it alter your actual exhaust tone.

Good Luck...

Old 08-18-2001, 07:35 PM
If it's simply high DB's that your after (which, BTW, does nothing buy annoy people other than those who like the same) then just go with straight pipes and loose the mufflers altogther. That way, you can go deaf in and out of the cab If you want to know what mine sound like on a true dual setup, read my response to the posting titles "true dual exhaust on 4.6"

Quick Reply: Flowmaster 40 series not that loud?