Need backpressure, want to keep sound...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need backpressure, want to keep sound...

I've recently noticed that it's harder to burnout, and when I stomp it at say...40 mph., it doesn't jerk like it use to. I'm not sure if I need more backpressure, if it's the Chevron with Techron in my gas, (I'm almost out.) or the 90 degree weather. Keep in mind, I just did the "Y" pipe mod., and I've been running treated fuel ever since. It's nothing too drastic as opposed to pre-"Y" pipe install, so I wonder if it's the open element air cleaner with this warm weather. Either way, I've been considering doing something to get some backpressure back, but I don't want to lose the straight pipe sound. I know my exhaust is much less restricted because before, it would make a "rushing" air sound at WOT, now it's a smooth, mellow sound. I didn't figure the dual 2.5" into single 3" would make that much of a difference, but the driver's side WAS only 2", and at that crappy angle. It shouldn't be the straight 3" pipe, because when you think about it, I am more restricted than those running 2 1/2" true duals with straight pipes, and I really haven't heard many complaints out of them. Any ideas? Guess I should get this treated fuel out, put fresh in, and consider a cold air intake.

...while I have you here, do you think it would be benefitial to sound if I were to have a 4" "tip" installed at an angle to replace the "turn-down"? If I were to install a muffler, what would keep the sound as close as possible, and still provide some backpressure? Glasspack? What brand? Flowmaster 40? Too quiet...

I'll keep you updated as to wether the fuel helps, but it's going to be in the upper 90's for another week or so.

-AR

Old 07-06-2001, 09:42 AM
Smile

Jackal:
Welcome to South Florida...LOL

Mark
SundayNiagara

Old 07-06-2001, 01:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Hummm...

Hey Jackal,

It's always been said that cooler air is better for generating power. That's why I don't understand this whole FIPK or FPIK (whatever order it is....). Sure, it's less restrictive then the factory unit (looks good too), but then you have the open element exposed in the engine compartment....... Not going to get cool air in there..... I'd bet that the factory unit, getting it's air from the outside, even if it's 90 degrees out, is letting cooler air in the engine then the open element one where the under hood temp has to be over 130 degrees easy. I dunno..... I like the idea of the cooler air being sucked in, even if it has to snake around a few extra bends and such. I haven't done any research on the product, once I saw that it eleminated the outside air connection.

Just FYI, I have not been able to get into the muff shop to get my new Y installed yet. Every time I drive by, he has a car on the lift. I just have to catch him on a "slow" day.

I'd also have to say that you are losing some low end with the "open" exhaust too. This is just from what I've read on other posts about the subject. I'm actually a bit "worried" about opening mine up too much with the new Y. I'm just going to connect it to the Gibson SS, but still have that thought in the back of my head too.....

I know you like the sound of the open pipes, but they do have mufflers out there that will still give you the full sound you want and provide some bp that may help you out. Dynamax comes to mind right off the bat. I had some "Drag Masters" on my 5.0 mustang, and they were pretty loud (not like an open system, but loud to me anyway). They also have some sort of "Can" that is just that, a can. It's like only 8" long, but has louvers inside, just like a glasspack, but is supposed to be better. Others like the Flowmasters. Good Luck. Sorry for the long winded post......

Old 07-06-2001, 01:32 PM
The stock intake is actually formed very well for managing air flow. The only thing I don't quite understand is the snorkle going to the fender, 2.25" is very restrictive, smallest opening in the entire system by a long shot. As for distance, the FIPK's end up being placed in the same spot as the stock element, just sucking hot air as you state. I hand formed an aluminum sheet snorkle with a bell end that ends up being 3.25", same size as the fender opening, 200% larger that the original. I attached it to the stock filter housing so I can now flow much more air and it is still coming from the fender area instead of under the hood. When I get my ACCEL foam power filter in I'll post pics in my album.

Quick Reply: Need backpressure, want to keep sound...