Need final advice before ordering exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need final advice before ordering exhaust!

Hello Everyone,
Long time lurker first time poster. I have a 2007 FX4 5.4 that I have had since November.

So far here is what I have done:

Line-X
Tinted windows
Gotts mod
AS 2 1/2 front
AS AAL rear

The exhaust is next and after tons of research here this is what I am planning:

Magnaflow Muffler 12468 5X8 oval 18" 2.5" DIDO
Magnaflow Tips 35111 2.5 in 3"X18" with 15 degree rolled edge 45'ed behind the back tires.

I am considering the 94106 (2.5" in - 2.5" out) hi-flow Cats (unless someone talks me out of it based on the below explaination of what I am wanting). Also will the hi-flow Cats cause me any problems with North Carolina's inspections (they do snif)?

I want it to sound good with no or very limited drone. I want to be able to get out of my snobby neighborhood with out scaring the kids but still want them to know I am there (under 1800 rpms or so). I want it to sound real good above that.

I do tow on a regular basis.

I could be convinced to go with the 14" or 21" muffler or do the cats or not based on what you know about what I am looking for. I have listened to many videos but the quality varies so much it is hard to tell. This will be my first adventure into exhaust so I have no reference points.

I plan on ordering soon (this week) from Performance Peddlers based on everyones feedback and finding a local shop to do the install (should be under $250?).

Next will be rims and tires and then a tuner.

This site has been a tremendous help to me so thank you for all of your help in the past and with any help or advise you can give me now.

KD

Old 01-31-2011, 10:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The high flow cats will make it drone more, so with high flows you will want a longer muffler. With stock cats, you will want a shorter muffler. I can't tell you what exactly what to buy because what I consider tolerable will be different for you. Most people are happy with stock cats and a 14" magnaflow muffler. There is a guy on here that ran a setup identical to mine with stock cats, and he really liked it. Lots of options here guy.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I had not thought about the Hi-Flow Cats causing more drone. I have heard in other post that the stock cats flow fairly well. I think I will forgo the cats as I can always add them later if I am wanting to change it up.

Seems to me that my only other decision is on the 14" or 18" DIDO muffler. These have the built in x-pipe (Tru-X). My thought was that with that pipe in the muffler of the 18" would make the muffler area effectively be 14" and the 14" would be 10" and maybe a little to loud. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the input and does anyone else have any thoughts?

KD

Old 02-01-2011, 10:27 AM

I am aiming for the same thing you're going for. Want to hear it, but only when I want to. I'm going with a 14" Magnapack with factory pipe with a 4"x10" length tip in the factory exit. I think this will achieve a nice tone and fairly audible, but not overpowering or obnoxious.

-Curtis-

Old 02-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might as well stick with the 18" if you are wanting minimal drone.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:00 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I have the 14" si/do and when I had stock cats it sounded good but to quiet for me. I added 94106's and cut off my 4 factory cats and it sounds much louder, but still too quiet for me. Many of us who really enjoy exhuast to the freak level probably have a higher tolerance than those who just want some rumble. Keep that in mind.

Quick Reply: Need final advice before ordering exhaust!