have searched alot, is there anyway to do LT headers in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
technically the cats would retain the stock position? at least the bottom two cats which aren't further up the manifold towards the block. "pre-cat"??

they wont go easy is right, somewhere in the range of $10,000 if caught?

Old 01-22-2011, 01:16 AM
I believe they even have some weird rule that says you are not even allowed to replace/touch the factory cats until after 60 or 80K miles. Can't remember, some muffler guy was telling me this info. If a muffler shop gets caught fooling with them it is something stupid like 25-50K fine.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by sbchris
I believe they even have some weird rule that says you are not even allowed to replace/touch the factory cats until after 60 or 80K miles. Can't remember, some muffler guy was telling me this info. If a muffler shop gets caught fooling with them it is something stupid like 25-50K fine.
Yeah, actually you cannot remove the factory cats unless they are malfunctioning. No LTs in CA legally, I've looked into it thoroughly. And even if you want to do high-flows for a 4-cat F150, it would be over $900 for the CARB cats...not to mention they all have to be malfunctioning.

As for passing the sniff test, they also do a visual. So even if you pass the sniff test, when the guy goes under the truck he will see the LTs and you fail.

Sucks.

You can add the JBA shorties though, they are CARB certified.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:17 AM
ya but everything I have read says the shorties are a total waste of time & money...kinda surprising when you look at the stockers (especially out of the truck) they are terrible! the only way to do it in my mind is to find a smog guy that will let you slide on the visual if it passes the sniffer. I would not make the truck crazy loud (unless I did used a set of electric cut-offs but would still have a full system and wouldnt make it much louder if any than my current truck, I just want the power and especially torque! I would probably even wrap the headers with black heat wrap so they dont stick out! lol

Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 PM
The Shorties have done nothing for me, but cause headaches. Constantly leaking. Have replaced the gaskets 4 times in just over 3 years. Tried different gaskets as well. Not sure if it is the brand(JBA) or what. Also, the Gaskets/bolts are a BITCH to get to. No improvement in HP. Sound is better(until they start leaking) and THATS it.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:01 PM
That sucks for california trucks. I live in california now and still plan on running long tubes. Have to drive to reno to get them though. Or get them shipped home back in ND then to me. So I am just gonna go to Reno. The only reason I am going to do this is cause all my stuff is still registered back in North Dakota, so I don't have to deal with all the emmisions like you guys do.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:56 PM
I have long tubes in Cali I got the oxb off eBay. 28 rwhp worth with a good tune. As for smog I pay $240 every 2 years but I figure it payed for with gas milage and smile factor. I've been pulled over twice with no mention to my longtubes. Cops are people two with the same toys we got. A set of longtubes never killed anyone so they usually are pretty negligent of them. My truck passes the sniffer with flying colors by the way thanks to magnaflow NON CARB cats . Two of them to be exact. Makes u wonder if all this carb stuff is just a money scam? $900 for "approved" cats? This state keeps their hands out of my pockets because I refuse to be a moron. But your long tubes and ask the smog shops around. And those cut outs are gonna kill your bottom end. Ur looking at dropping massive amounts of torque for a 1930's "upgrade" this is 2011 buy a nice muffler and enjoy technology.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by f150greg
I have long tubes in Cali I got the oxb off eBay. 28 rwhp worth with a good tune. As for smog I pay $240 every 2 years but I figure it payed for with gas milage and smile factor. I've been pulled over twice with no mention to my longtubes. Cops are people two with the same toys we got. A set of longtubes never killed anyone so they usually are pretty negligent of them. My truck passes the sniffer with flying colors by the way thanks to magnaflow NON CARB cats . Two of them to be exact. Makes u wonder if all this carb stuff is just a money scam? $900 for "approved" cats? This state keeps their hands out of my pockets because I refuse to be a moron. But your long tubes and ask the smog shops around. And those cut outs are gonna kill your bottom end. Ur looking at dropping massive amounts of torque for a 1930's "upgrade" this is 2011 buy a nice muffler and enjoy technology.
What are you running for the rest of your exhaust and do you have any videos of your truck running?? I am stuck on wether or not to run those cats or go without them. Thanks a lot man.

Quick Reply: have searched alot, is there anyway to do LT headers in CA?