Straight pipe cost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 01:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the straight pipes, 2.25" pipe with no cross over. didn't notice s loss in power, but probly just because I got into it pretty hard all the time and when I finally calmed down I couldn't remember what it pulled like before hand, but I would just do what every one else recomends, wait for a quality exhaust.
I had $80 in tips and scavenged pipe (about $20) from the junk yards and made my exhaust, but it will all be redone the right way here soon enough.
oh, what two of my buddies paid at a small local shop
true duel straight pipe,2.25" pipe, 3" x 18" tips ($215)
Y pipe to duels, 2.5" pipe, 4" x 24" tips ($210)

Old 12-07-2010, 02:05 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Why cut the muffler off to experiment with straight piping it?

Just unclamp in front of the muffler and store your muffler and TP for the day you get tired of that straight stuff or for when you can't stand more tickets.

In the meantime just get a piece of straightpipe bent to fit where you want and clamp in place and throw on a tip. For $30 you can add a bullet.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see how it could be loud enough to get a ticket. People asked me when I got my flowmasters put on, but I inform them that I simply had the muffler cut off and replaced with a piece of pipe. It cuts off over the rear axle. Will post a pic tomorrow. And it was def worth 15 bucks to me to have some exhaust rather than stock. It has a mild sound, nothing like the old loud raspy pop like the old ones had.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by tbear853
Why cut the muffler off to experiment with straight piping it?

Just unclamp in front of the muffler and store your muffler and TP for the day you get tired of that straight stuff or for when you can't stand more tickets.

In the meantime just get a piece of straightpipe bent to fit where you want and clamp in place and throw on a tip. For $30 you can add a bullet.
why didnt I think of that? lol I will definetly do that, but I cant leave it that way for long b/c exhaust gases will get in my truck. Getting that big tank off my truck will be a real pain though.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by jake81
I don't see how it could be loud enough to get a ticket. People asked me when I got my flowmasters put on, but I inform them that I simply had the muffler cut off and replaced with a piece of pipe. It cuts off over the rear axle. Will post a pic tomorrow. And it was def worth 15 bucks to me to have some exhaust rather than stock. It has a mild sound, nothing like the old loud raspy pop like the old ones had.
I don't write this to be a smart butt or to demean anyone, I understand wanting some sound .... as well as I understand when it's so loud it's just a PITA to all others and disturbs the peace even.

I don't know what the Tenn law is, but I know Va.'s. There are several code sections, like one specific to MCs, etc ... but the one's pertaining to regular vehicles are:

Originally Posted by me
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1047

§ 46.2-1047. Muffler cutout, etc., illegal.

It shall be unlawful to sell or offer for sale any (i) muffler without interior baffle plates or other effective muffling device or (ii) gutted muffler, muffler cutout, or straight exhaust. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate on the highways in the Commonwealth a motor vehicle, moped, or motorized skateboard or scooter equipped with a gutted muffler, muffler cutout, or straight exhaust.
Note, nothing there in that section about loudness.

Originally Posted by me
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1049

§ 46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order.

No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise; provided however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a vehicle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block, including mufflers and other sound dissipative devices.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and any vehicle equipped with chambered pipes shall be deemed in violation of this section.
I always took the 1049 section as requiring me to apply a standard of like what is the loudest factory vehicle of that year that meets code. If it was a lot louder than a stock Mustang GT for example, it's too loud. Chambered pipes like GM offered as an option on some vehs in mid '60s was outlawed in Va. with that additional last paragraph, it was optional, not standard on the GTO or Corvette.

In real life, if I had one that sounded like maybe it was too loud, then I looked underneath.

If it had NO muffler or if it had only a simple glasspack bullet(s) ..... I wrote it.

If it maybe had a pair of FM 40s or "Race Muffs" and cuttof dumps right there and it was really loud ..... I wrote it.

I wrote a lot of PUs and cars and TTs with straight pipes or excessively loud mufflers that didn't muffle. A fair number of them even had Tenn plates.

I wasn't alone ..... but some places of the state officers are covered up with calls and have little opportunity to look at vehicle equipment.
I had plenty of calls, plenty of wrecks, but in between I had the time and I used it.
Working radar, vehicle goes by fast, and I hear loud exhaust too,, when stopped, I took a look. If brake lights not working, I checked that out too. Some got several tickets, sometimes you towed the vehicle off the highway.

If it wasn't so loud as you say .... I didn't look. I didn't have reason to look unless my ears told me to.

No points though, it's just an equipment violation. I imagine that your state has some code sections on it too.

Hey .... when I got my '07, the pervious owner had just installed a SI/DO FM with welded syetm from that clamp rearwards. I test drove it, knew it was too loud, but I liked the truck.

First chance I got, I added a GP ahead of it, and now it's system is about as loud as a stock Mustang GT. Sounds pretty near exact same. It's got a baffled muffler and it get's exhaust past the passenger area without leaks, it's OK. I like it, it's pleasant, it's not disturbing, it's quiet enough to meet same standard as the GT did.

I like a pleasant good sounding exhaust, always have. My Merc and both Birds have dual exh but all are with stock mufflers. My '77 has Turbos on it, a new pair actually, it's 4th set under the lifetime warranty.

Never did like that loud just to be loud "try to imitate race car" obnoxius sound and neither do most other people .... hence the laws in every state.

Last edited by tbear853; 12-07-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by GA4x4Screw
why didnt I think of that? lol I will definetly do that, but I cant leave it that way for long b/c exhaust gases will get in my truck. Getting that big tank off my truck will be a real pain though.
That big old tank equates to volume and volume in a muffler allows it to dissipate noise, to muffle better, with less restriction. Yeah, it's maybe heavy, but not a lot heavier than two smaller ones.

And it's a long lasting stainless steel muffler. I've seen people cut them off and toss them in the scrap trailer at my local mudffler man's shop, and every now and again they come back looking for it in a week or three ..... and it's often gone.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:41 PM
I tried unclamping the pipe today, then remembered the 3 other clamps I had to unbolt so the system could move backwards so the pipe would slide out and I didnt feel like going through all that trouble, just to hear it. Is there an easier way to do it?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by GA4x4Screw
I tried unclamping the pipe today, then remembered the 3 other clamps I had to unbolt so the system could move backwards so the pipe would slide out and I didnt feel like going through all that trouble, just to hear it. Is there an easier way to do it?
Easier = simpler = more destructive ...... like cutting it.

If you are bound to do it, just tie up the pipe with bent coat hangers while you undo those bolts. Then if you are going to remove it, remove it.

Note that stock slip joints often have a band clamp and a small tab that fits in a slot, you may have to twist it as well.

Last edited by tbear853; 12-07-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:25 PM
any of you guys have any experience with a dump valve? basically you cut out a few inches of pipe in front of your muffler, and install this replacement piece of pipe that also has a 2nd opening angling down that is covered by a bolted on cap. whenever you want to hear a straight pipe exhaust, just remove the cover, and then replace it when you dont want to hear your exhaust. I know 2 guys who have it on their trucks, one a 07 king ranch and the other a '10 king ranch. both sound pretty awesome to me. its pretty cheap and im really considering doing it. there are times when i simply cant have a loud exhaust on my truck, like hunting and towing my boat on the interstate, and this seems like a pretty good option to me.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:56 PM
^ That is stupid. I hate cut outs. They sound like hell and often leak.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Do you have any pictures of this setup?

Old 12-10-2010, 01:37 AM
no i dont have any pics. the trucks are back in tampa and im up in auburn for school.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by whitt91
any of you guys have any experience with a dump valve? basically you cut out a few inches of pipe in front of your muffler, and install this replacement piece of pipe that also has a 2nd opening angling down that is covered by a bolted on cap. whenever you want to hear a straight pipe exhaust, just remove the cover, and then replace it when you dont want to hear your exhaust. I know 2 guys who have it on their trucks, one a 07 king ranch and the other a '10 king ranch. both sound pretty awesome to me. its pretty cheap and im really considering doing it. there are times when i simply cant have a loud exhaust on my truck, like hunting and towing my boat on the interstate, and this seems like a pretty good option to me.
Sounds like you have two idiotic friends who are running crappy exhaust setups on nice trucks. Like I said before, they should call this the "Pull the 15 year old girls at the high school" mod.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:26 PM
^ Exactly.

Quick Reply: Straight pipe cost?