Upgrading my current exhaust...looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading my current exhaust...looking for some advice

Hey guys I have a 4.6 scab short bed and last year I went to a local auto customize shop and purchased one of their exhaust systems. This was before I really knew anything about pipes and diameters and such( I still dont to tell ya the truth) but I picked up a cat-back SI/SO magnaflow (no idea on dimentions) y piped into a dual rear exhaust.

Now heres where I need a tad help. I know I want to buy the 94106s and also the magnapacks muffler but I dont want to have to redo all the pipes. So what Im asking is can this be done buy simply removing what I dont want and adding what I do? Or should I just start from the cats and work my way back?

On a side note I also plan on picking up a Gryphon CS from PHP. Should I complete this first before placing my order or will my current exhaust and new exhaust have no difference when placing my order? Thanks for all that help.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get your exhaust done first if you are getting custom tunes. If you want to run only one magnapack then it sounds like you could have a shop weld one in place of the current muffler, but if you want true duals then you would have to get new piping.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
x2, exhaust and other performance mods done first, tune after. The cats are a direct chop n' swap, no worries. Just make sure the rear O2s are re-mounted after the new cats.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x3.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Well I have some buddies that KINDA know how to weld but not nearly enough to trust them with it. If I took it to a shop anyone care to throw a $$$ number at me? And also any advice on the muffler?

Old 05-27-2010, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by NattyMo
Well I have some buddies that KINDA know how to weld but not nearly enough to trust them with it. If I took it to a shop anyone care to throw a $$$ number at me? And also any advice on the muffler?
$100 - $150 usually installs hi-flow cats if they accept your old cats as a discount. Otherwise it can usually get jacked up to about $180+ for cat work.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If they can't seal the pipes, there will be leaks, and that is one of the biggest sound killers IMO.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:45 PM
So I ordered the 94106s today but I noticed my f-150 isn't on performancepeddler.com application chart but Im guessing this doesnt really matter since people on here have them installed. Next up is the muffler. Is the size I get gonna have to correspond with the size of my current pipes or what? Sorry for all the questions.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:14 PM

So I ordered the 94106s today but I noticed my f-150 isn't on performancepeddler.com application chart but Im guessing this doesnt really matter since people on here have them installed. Next up is the muffler. Is the size I get gonna have to correspond with the size of my current pipes or what? Sorry for all the questions.
They are universal cats, but come standard in the GM truck replacement catalytic converter kits. You can always go with a 3" inlet to dual 2.5" out for SI/DO, but for SI/SO full 2.5" isw best for just a swap, but your best off getting a new freer flowing Y pipe ( Magnaflow #10778 ) and 3" intermediate pipe fabbed from the shop.10

Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 PM
The Magnapacks have a dual out option? Not to be annoying or anything but is there anyway you could whip up a diagram in MS Paint to give me an idea of an ideal setup?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:37 PM

The Magnapacks have a dual out option? Not to be annoying or anything but is there anyway you could whip up a diagram in MS Paint to give me an idea of an ideal setup?
Nope, they are single in/out only. Use a Magnaflow #10778 Y pipe and you will be set. That is if you run a 3" midpipe with 3" in/out Magnapack.

PM member "08FX4" for a photo of his exhaust setup. He has exactly what I am explaining.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:43 PM
So 3'' over 2.5'' would be the way to go for the best sound then? And I really appreciate all your help man, thanks a bunch.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:45 PM

So 3'' over 2.5'' would be the way to go for the best sound then? And I really appreciate all your help man, thanks a bunch.
Yes for sure. And a little bit of performance gain too.

Quick Reply: Upgrading my current exhaust...looking for some advice