New Pipes Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Pipes Worth It?

I've been reading post after post about replacing mid pipes and using different diameters...what is the advantage of this over stock? I am wondering what the difference would be if i just put a new muffler on and kept everything else the way it is if it's in good shape.

Cash flow is low right now, but would love to start at a setup piece by piece. I need to replace my headers (leaky/cracked manifold), so that will improve sound, and i assume muffler (ex magnaflow) will as well. What will replacing all that piping REALLY do power wise vs cost??

Thanks guys - just curious!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would definatly replace your headers. (might just check you manifold gasket, mine was bad. I thought i was going to have to do the same thing. I ended up only replacing the gasket and a few studs, and its as good as new!) But as far as replacing your pipe, I wouldn't. I don't believe the power gain is worth it. I thought i spent enough on mine. I have all stock pipe to my muffler. I have a Flowmaster SI/DO. Then I had the shop run duals from the muffler out the back. I had 18" Tips put on, and I love it.
I tried to do all this on a budget too, it worked out great.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear you're happy with a more budget setup. I was getting so confused with all the changes in pipe diameter for better low end, etc etc...didn't seem worth it for 5 or 10hp.

How did you figure out what was wrong with your manifold? Yourself, or a shop? I haven't been able to see any visible cracks (not that i really know what i'm looking for), but i know for sure there's "something" up with the passenger side - sounds like crap!

Thanks for the reply!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats the side I had to replace. I found out from a good friend. He is a certified Ford Mechanic. He told me that it is a VERY VERY commen thing. The Studs and nuts snap off from the block. I guess the break just from extreme heat. Unfortunatly its not recalled, but it is put on a special news bulliten at the Dealer ship that only the technicians see(He told me all of this).

I knew something was wrong, because I was hearing this LOUD ticking sound when I was on the gas, but when I let off, it went away.

I had him do it for me. Cost me a case of beer and a 2 packs of cigaretts. lol.
It didn't look hard to do at all. I watched him do the whole thing.

Last edited by poolboy1191; 03-25-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It's worth it if you're building a complete SIDO/SISO exhaust. Most of the restriction is from the stock Y-pipe. You can buy a magnaflow Y-pipe that is 2.5" all the way down to a 3" exit, then you can run a 3" intermediate pipe to the muffler.

IMO, best size for low end torque and towing.

Quick Reply: New Pipes Worth It?