Gotts and Removed Silencer

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gotts and Removed Silencer

I've read just about every thread concerning this topic and I just wanted to post and receive a specific answer. I did the Gotts mod a long while ago and was re-reading some of the threads where they mentioned removing the silencer in the intake. Well, I couldn't resist and went out and did this as well. I'm not sure if what I feel is real or just the whole "wow I did something new and now I'll really hammer the gas" feeling. But, it does feel better. Now the only concern/question I have is about the drone at low speeds and rpm's. Its quite annoying and only happens at low speeds or rpm's. As soon as I accelerate, it goes away. Is this the only function the silencer had? To prevent that drone? Or is there something else I can do? I have an 02 FX4 with the 5.4L. I appreciate the input. Thanks!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:55 AM
i didnt notice any difference in drone and i did my gotts mod and silencer intake at the same time, the intake sounds a tad bit throatier and feels a little more freed up but thats the only difference i noticed

Old 03-22-2010, 03:48 AM

Thanks for the input. Any suggestions or thoughts on what could be causing the heavy drone? The wife can't stand it and to be honest, its quite annoying. Again, its only at low speeds or real low rpm's. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

you sure its not your cherry bomb muffler?

Turn up the radio...

Old 03-22-2010, 10:37 AM

Haha, yeah its not the muffler. Although, now that you mention it, since I first installed a SI/DO a long time ago with a Magnaflow, I would get some droning when stopped and idling. What could that be? And now that its magnified any thoughts? When its just me, I do turn up the radio, the problem is, the wife isn't a fan of loud music, so instead we hear the drone. And we go camping quite a bit, which requires taking my truck. You see the problem.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:10 PM

Ok, I went out and checked it out again and the noise really seems to be coming from the air box, right where the air filter is. It doesn't seem to be coming from the area where I removed the silencer at all. So my question is, what do I check. I took some video, but how do you post that on here? Thanks.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hello!

Yessir - that is the logical point at which the noise will present itself - the open end of the tube.

Now you know why it's called a 'silencer'.

Solution? Put it back. Extracting it did absolutely SFA perf-wise anyway.

Sorry.

G'luck.

MGD v4.2

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hello!

Yessir - that is the logical point at which the noise will present itself - the open end of the tube.

Now you know why it's called a 'silencer'.

Solution? Put it back. Extracting it did absolutely SFA perf-wise anyway.

Sorry.

G'luck.

MGD v4.2
Ok so you make a good point. Didn't really think about that one did I? So that droning at low speeds and RPM's will always be there without the silencer in place? As far as putting it back in, how much damage to the original is too much? My edges are a little rough but not all that bad. I didn't cut anything nor did I completely mangle it. Do you have to apply some sort of adhesive to it or just pop it back in? Also, what does "SFA" mean? Thanks.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by russ10screw
Ok so you make a good point. Didn't really think about that one did I? So that droning at low speeds and RPM's will always be there without the silencer in place? As far as putting it back in, how much damage to the original is too much? My edges are a little rough but not all that bad. I didn't cut anything nor did I completely mangle it. Do you have to apply some sort of adhesive to it or just pop it back in? Also, what does "SFA" mean? Thanks.
Hello again sir.

No problems - I'm not knocking yer willingness to try stuff out - that's what modding is all about. The key is maintaining the full ability to 'back-out' from any changes if necessary.

In this case, I have not heard of anyone actually replacing it, as the removal is somewhat invasive. Perhaps an adhesvie would work, but a better aproach is to see if you can source an unmodded used one from a wrecker's or even on the Classifieds here. I'd be concerned about the engine injesting something it shouldn't (glue or piece of plastic, etc) since this is all downstream from the filter. Make sense?

On the drone - this reversal would only address / eliminate any additional noise directly attributable to the removal. If it sounded okay to you just before you did this procedure - that's how it will sound again once everything is back in it's original upright position.

Oh - 'SFA' is 'Sweet *** All'

Good luck sir.

MGD v4.2

Old 03-22-2010, 04:18 PM
I did this as well, but I didn't disconnect the negative terminal when I did it. Removing the snorkel and dropping in a K&N made a noticeable (to me) improvement in noise and throttle response. Today, after reading last night about removing the negative terminal to correct the air/fuel ratio, I did just that. It wiped out and noise and throttle response I got.

I'm guessing this is the reason some say they don't notice anything when doing this. The truck sounds and accelerates just like it did before.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:19 PM

Yeah I made sure to disconnect the battery and let it sit for a while to reset. Still get that drone out of the airbox. Thanks for the input. Any additional would be appreciated. Especially the feasibility of putting the silencer back in.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:38 PM

Ok y'all, don't know how, but I always find a way for something crazy to happen to my mods. "Service Engine Soon" light came on tonight. I have to believe, related to the removal of my silencer. What could have caused this? I'm going to reinstall it which will reset the computer since I'm disconnecting the battery. I'll check all my connections, but any thoughts as to why mine decided to throw a light, when it seems no one elses has? Thanks.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:01 PM

Get the code checked you may have a vacuum leak or something from not quite installing it properly. I removed the silencer on mine and never had any drone. Get the code checked out before you try to reinstall that silencer.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gotts2BMe
Get the code checked you may have a vacuum leak or something from not quite installing it properly. I removed the silencer on mine and never had any drone. Get the code checked out before you try to reinstall that silencer.
Dangit, I panicked. I wasn't expecting a response so quick and I went out there and just reinstalled the silencer. I had checked all my connections earlier this morning to make sure everything was tight secure. My silencer was still in pretty good shape. Just a little rough on the edges from the pliers, but not mis-shaped or anything like that. So I popped it back in and buttoned everything back up. Started it up, no drone. Drove out of the neighborhood and onto the highway, no drone. And of course the light is off. We'll see if it comes back, in which case I'll definitely go get it checked. Thats so bizarre that I had a terrible drone and you never did. Do you have the 4.6 or 5.4? Just curious. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by russ10screw
Dangit, I panicked. I wasn't expecting a response so quick and I went out there and just reinstalled the silencer. I had checked all my connections earlier this morning to make sure everything was tight secure. My silencer was still in pretty good shape. Just a little rough on the edges from the pliers, but not mis-shaped or anything like that. So I popped it back in and buttoned everything back up. Started it up, no drone. Drove out of the neighborhood and onto the highway, no drone. And of course the light is off. We'll see if it comes back, in which case I'll definitely go get it checked. Thats so bizarre that I had a terrible drone and you never did. Do you have the 4.6 or 5.4? Just curious. Thanks for your help.
i have the 5.4 as well. My intake may drone but it is covered up by my exhaust lol.

Quick Reply: Gotts and Removed Silencer