long tubes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
long tubes

so i found pacesetter long tubes that are in my price range. they however have o'2 bungs in the collector of the header. my 06 5.4 however only has one set of o'2s and they are in the cats, so would i through a cel if put the o'2 in the headers or do i need to plug that hole and get hi flow's and put the o'2 in them?

if this has been discussed before i am sorry, i ran many searches and didnt find anything.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Are you sure that you don't have another set of o2 sensors in there somewhere like further up towards the exhaust manifolds ahead of the cats? Are your sensors directly in the middle of the cat or at one end of it?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Double check for o2 sensors...

Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
There are also O2's in the exhaust manifold, last time I checked.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:41 PM
there probably are some up from the cats i didnt think to check (been a long day), that would make sense then have them in the middle of high flows like they are on stock as well.

does any one happen to have pics of the underside of the truck, like how the piping is ran from the collectors to the cats to the y or duals, im just trying to get an idea so that i can assemble everything on a sunday with my limited tools and clamp it untill monday when i can get to the exhaust shop to have it welded.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Do you mean pictures of the stock set-up or of the Pacesetter? I just bought the Pacesetter lt's and y-pipe from a member here and have to say that it's going to be a BIATCH to get some cats in the mix. There 's very limited room between the collectors and the turn downs in the y. The bad thing is that there is limited straight sections. I ended up ordering a couple 3" Thunderbolt cats with the o2 bungs welded in. They measure 11" long by 4" around. It's not going to be easy getting it to work but there are limited options available. You need to actually have them in hand to see what I'm talking about though I think.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:12 PM
yes, i was referring to pics of LT's with cats on them so i could get ideas for placement. i already have duals so i wont have a Y pipe just want to get ideas so that i can cut and clamp everything for a day or two until im able to get to the exhaust shop. i also saw some cat's that were like a 45 or so, might be easier on the driver side.... maybe... idk this will be my first attempt at any header or cat work.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:44 PM
ok so i found some pictures of a 4wd with LT and cats. his cats were right after the collectors, and it seemed to have enough room for everything. definitely goin to need to find some o2 wire extenders, also idr if it was that set of pics i was looking at or some one elses but they extended the thing that plugs into the top of the header,.. erg.... egr what ever it is called. does that have to be done as well?

Old 02-24-2010, 12:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thomabro
ok so i found some pictures of a 4wd with LT and cats. his cats were right after the collectors, and it seemed to have enough room for everything. definitely goin to need to find some o2 wire extenders, also idr if it was that set of pics i was looking at or some one elses but they extended the thing that plugs into the top of the header,.. erg.... egr what ever it is called. does that have to be done as well?
The front air/fuel ratio O2 extensions, yes, they are important. The truck will run horribly and misfire with them not functioning properly. They are re-located to the collectos because the primaries of the headers seperate all pipes until the collector. You'll need O2 extensions. Due to this, with cats right after the collectors, the rear O2 sensors will need extensions to mount them after the converters.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:12 AM
i assumed the o2's would have to be extended, i just didnt know about the erg or what ever its called would fit with out extension or not since it still just plugs into one tube at the top of the headers and not at the collector.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:23 AM
very true. you will need extenders on all of the 02's. mine is 2wd but here goes.

headers down to collectors, 02 sensor, 3" long pipe downsized from 3" to 2.5", welded in maggie 94106 cats and on the driver side-pipe turned directly right after the cat. kinda a sharp turn. in the actual back of the cat pipe we welded in a bung to add the second 02. the driver's side had the same, 3" long pipe that went from 3" to 2.5" and directly welded to the cat and then directly welded the y.pipe. i'll try to find my pic of when i got them put on.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:25 AM
you dont have to worry about any egr since you have an 05+, maybe even 04+?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by 05crewzer
you dont have to worry about any egr since you have an 05+, maybe even 04+?
ok cool, one less thing i have to worry bout. i got a perdy good idea of everything's placement last night wile goin through tons of pics. the local muffler shop should have a 3in to 2.5 pipe right? or is there some where cheaper, also if any one knows of any where that carrys the o2 extenders for a fair price it would be appreciated.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your shop doesn't have the reducers ( not shop made either ) then a local Napa should have stainless ones in stock, and the autozones and advanced auto's should have them in aluminized.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:16 PM
ok thanks

Quick Reply: long tubes