MBRP SIDO Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBRP SIDO Update

I installed the MBRP SIDO on my 2010 a few weeks ago. I have installed so many MBRP kits in the last ten years I can't remember exactly how many. I will say that something changed since the 2008 kits like I had on my 2008 Screw. My 2010 truck on start-up and accelleration is just as loud as the Roush Off Road - if not louder, and I have had the ROR (not on a 2010, though). You don't even hear the typical engine groan on a hard to-the-floor acceleration - all exhaust. It almost sounds like it belongs on a souped up Mustang or Vette it sounds so performance-like. It sounds incredible! At an idle through town between 600 to 900 rpms, the grumble is so low it is like nothing I've ever heard. To me, it sounds like much more quality than my FIL's Flowmaster 40's on his 1998 Scab - no raspy tinny sound. This MBRP actually gets loud in the cab when nailing it, and at an idle in gear, it really rumbles - not the typical MBRP that gets really quiet.

Now, I can also make a few revisions here. The new six-speed tranny makes these 2009+ trucks idle and run at highway speeds alot lower than the 2008 and older trucks. At 1500 to 1700 rpms on the interstate there is some drone. You exhaust freaks woudl have no issues, but I drive alot of highway and interstate, and if the DW is in the cab, I'd hear alot more than the exhaust. I didn't mind it myself because I like the real low rumble and the unbelievable sound not typical to the MBRP kits I've installed before, but nonetheless, I made a change.

I called MBRP and they said that many trucks with the engines that shut 4 cylinders down on the highway have noise issues in the cab and MBRP has another muffler available. MBRP was nice enough to send me one after I paid the shipping. I was skeptical because I didn't want to lose the sound I had, but I didn't care to lose the DW, either. Anyway, I installed the new muffler this weekend and realigned the system. It is now aligned perfectly. IT just took some time.

So, my impressions? Well, bye bye to that sound I had before. It is now more like we all are accustomed to with MBRP. Loud start-up. Nice grumbe on accelleration, but now you will hear the engine on really hard accellerations. At an idle, it is quiet (louder than stock) in the cab. No drone. I miss the sound I had, but for the amount of highway/interstate I drive with my boss or my wife in the cab, I didn't care for the drone.

The old muffler is a straight-through design. You can see right through with no obstruction. The new muffler has a plate across the center that has a hole in it. I'm not to exstatic about the baffle plate and wonder what it will do to my economy, if anything. I had thoughts about keeping the old muffler and reinstalling it when I get bored someday with the current set-up, but after getting this system perfectly aligned now, I will not touch it again. I may put the old muffler on the chopping block soon unless I think I could reuse it someday on my 2011. Then, I could see adding some short bends off the dual outlets to make a dual side outlet before the rear tires. Easy, I think.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:25 PM
any sound clips? Sounds cool

Old 02-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good right up! I like reading these reviews on non typical setups and seeing what you thought about the difference.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Thanks. I am very happy with the way I got it aligned, and actually, it sounds good. If it weren't for having to realign it (as well as driving with my boss in the cab during the week), I'd put the first muffler back in. I'm getting too old to be sliding around under a truck without a creeper.

Although it sounds really good, this second muffler is not loud enough for me. It went a few steps too quiet. It's perfect for someone who wants a tougher sound but a quiet cab. I never considered myself a loud exhaust person, but I liked the Roush Off Road I had on my 2007. Had they made one for my 2010, I'd have gone that route. Now, I am thinking about pulling off the kit and selling it while I decide what to do - maybe a custom setup.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:45 AM
MBRP vs. Banks Monster Exhaust

I like the MBRP side exit dual tail pipes. I was wondering how does the MBRP compare with the Banks if you know? Also, what is the difference in the Installer $448.78, XP 537.32 and the Pro $808.61 (for an '08)? All I could find from reading on their web site was the materials. I was wondering if you know if the mufflers are different on those? I plan on getting a set of Dynatech long tubes on here pretty soon. I am happy with the Banks set up I have. I would rather have the tips coming out the sides (preferably corners). The Banks come out the rear, under the bumper and are pretty low even with the oval tips.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:32 PM
I know one thing. Don't pay those prices. I got the Pro Series last February for $550 in the SIDO Split Rear. Prices have went up on the website I got mine from but they now have make an offer.

Truck-Champ 2008 F-150 prices

Their prices are in line with AutoAnything now (last year they were $100 cheaper). But the also say make an offer. I would lowball them and see what they come back with.

As for the differences, all I could ever figure out was the Installer is aluminized, the XP is 409SS, and the Pro is 304SS. Shoot, if you didn't want side exit we could probably work out a deal on mine, lol. MBRP sounds really good but I just liked the Flowmaster sound better so I swapped out the intermediate pipe and the muffler.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:34 PM
I know one thing. Don't pay those prices. I got the Pro Series last February for $550 in the SIDO Split Rear. Prices have went up on the website I got mine from but they now have make an offer.

Truck-Champ MBRP for 2008 F-150 prices

Their prices are in line with AutoAnything now (last year they were $100 cheaper). But the also say make an offer. I would lowball them and see what they come back with.

As for the differences, all I could ever figure out was the Installer is aluminized, the XP is 409SS, and the Pro is 304SS. Shoot, if you didn't want side exit we could probably work out a deal on mine, lol. MBRP sounds really good but I just liked the Flowmaster sound better so I swapped out the intermediate pipe and the muffler.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:13 PM
the difference is just in the materials. everything else is the same. i bought the aluminized.i figure if it corrodes i can find a different set up like the si/do. or true duels...

Old 02-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats smoke, glad to hear your satisfaction with the kit. The newer ones to seem quite louder, there is definitely some less restricted catalytic converters in them. The full 2.75" exhaust helps too, better flowing at the Y pipe.

Your OEM muffler from the diagram I seen is straight through, but isn't like aftermarkets, its got 4 sections inside it that absorbs sound to lessen interior noise, but perform as well as straight through. Would be interesting if you chopped it open though. I should have done so with my 2004's muffler.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Congrats smoke, glad to hear your satisfaction with the kit. The newer ones to seem quite louder, there is definitely some less restricted catalytic converters in them. The full 2.75" exhaust helps too, better flowing at the Y pipe.

Your OEM muffler from the diagram I seen is straight through, but isn't like aftermarkets, its got 4 sections inside it that absorbs sound to lessen interior noise, but perform as well as straight through. Would be interesting if you chopped it open though. I should have done so with my 2004's muffler.
Well, I am satisfied with the final install, it's just that the latest muffler is too quiet for my tastes. MBRP offered it as a possible solution to the drone, and it worked, but it unfortunately cut out the real low growl. I can't even explain the unbelievable sound it had before. The latest thought from MBRP is that a resonator installed with the original muffler could return the growl, but I hate to chop up the stainless exhaust without knowing if it will actually return the growl without the drone. MBRP has been great. The guy I have been talking to for years has always been so helpful.

I should have videoed the original install before I removed that muffler. What an idiot. I videoed the latest install with the quieter muffler, but have now way to post it. IT was on a warm start. The cold start is really loud, but as all systems do, it quiets down as it gets warmer. I'm still thinking...

As for the new stock muffler, I still have it. Not certain yet if I will keep the MBRP, so I hate to cut it up just yet. I know in the 2009 sales literature, there is a shot of the inside of the new muffler an how it is less restrictive. I saw it sometime last year.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:02 PM
^ BAND SAW IT!!!

... and take pictures!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Ya know, after my two-hour ride home tonight, I think Saturday morning I am putting the first MBRP muffler back in. If the DW doesn't like the "beautiful music" on our two-day ride this spring, well... that's what earplugs are for, right? I think the drone is with the muffler body itself. I wonder if I could wrap it somehow. I also wonder if I dumped it out the rear of the muffler and right out to the side before the passengers side wheel if it would make any difference. I don't know enough about exhaust to make any educated adjustments, but I want that original MBRP sound and grumble back.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It will hum slightly more inside, but I think your original MBRP muffler will due fine for you since you were satisfied before. I'm sure the drone point wasn't all too bad. Swap mufflers and call it a day, and try posting a video of it

Old 02-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Need some sound clips. I can't decide on what exhaust I want.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:16 PM
^ ha. What a long list of mufflers to choose from, and how to install them. YouTube FTW!

Quick Reply: MBRP SIDO Update