Homemade intake question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homemade intake question

Heres the question I have a 1997 F150 4.6L V8. Im just wanting to know how much a new mass air flow would be? I plan on tiging up some aluminum pipe and making whole new intake. But the giant stock mass air flow is to big and bulky..

I would really like to find a mass air flow that would be convient for this little project..

Thanks.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:22 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
you don't need a larger MAF unless you go to forced induction

Old 02-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home made intake

But if I was going to make it at home with something like 2.5"pipe then the stock MAF would not slide into my new intake..
I think I may not have asked my question very well. So if I was to go about building a new intake. I was wondering if they made a thin MAF or even a MAF that would attach to my throttle body or if the MAF can be placed between the pipe and the air filter?
thanks.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hello Overlord!

Welcome and greetings!

Sir - A few things I'd like to note with yer permission:

Please be advised that reducing the overall diameter of yer intake could compromise performance.

Also - the factory MAF is more than adequate to meet the needs of a stock or even mildly built bolt-on motor.

Further - the stock MAF's flow characteristics are firmly married to the specific tuning in yer truck's PCM - any changes/replacement of the MAF itself - even perhaps extreme location changes, can adversly affect the safe running of yer truck. The onlt solution is a custom tune to correct the affected transfer function.

Lastly - aluminum is, perhaps, not the best material here - it exhibits vigorous heat transfer in high-ambient & heat-soak conditions. ABS / PVC would be better ( and easier to work with ). Stangely enough, stainless appears best (polished on the outside, matte on the inside).

You can also explore the Gott's mod on this site, and/or the other various intake modes, to give you some additional ideas - just a quick Search away.

Thanks!

Cheers & Bests!

MGD v2.1b

Old 02-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ agreed

Quick Reply: Homemade intake question