stock flowmasters to straight pipe questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock flowmasters to straight pipe questions

i have a 2000 f150 xlt. it has a 4.6l with CAI (previous owner) and flowmaster exhaust system. i assumed the previous owner had done this as well but after seeing at least 10 same year/model trucks with the same EXACT flowmaster exhaust setup im starting to think maybe this was a factory option? does anybody have any insight on this? the setup is two cats after each manifold and then converge to one single pipe, then back to a SI/DO flowmaster with dual tips coming out under the bumper....... i have ripped out the muffler for prom last year to run straight pipes, leaving the open pipe in front of my rear wheel, tips doing nothing. it was sexy loud. but only left it like that for a week. im now considering redoing it, but instead im going to take out the muffler and install a Y-pipe that would connect all three pipes. whats yalls thoughts on this? anybody done this before and have problems with the engine afterwards? (i didnt have any problems the first time ran straight pipes) (and please dont tell me whats legal or not, we live in the sticks)

Last edited by whackemnstackem; 01-14-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by whackemnstackem
i have a 2000 f150 xlt. it has a 4.6l with CAI (previous owner) and flowmaster exhaust system. i assumed the previous owner had done this as well but after seeing at least 10 same year/model trucks with the same EXACT flowmaster exhaust setup im starting to think maybe this was a factory option? does anybody have any insight on this? the setup is two cats after each manifold and then converge to one single pipe, then back to a SI/DO flowmaster with dual tips coming out under the bumper....... i have ripped out the muffler for prom last year to run straight pipes, leaving the open pipe in front of my rear wheel, tips doing nothing. it was sexy loud. but only left it like that for a week. im now considering redoing it, but instead im going to take out the muffler and install a Y-pipe that would connect all three pipes. whats yalls thoughts on this? anybody done this before and have problems with the engine afterwards? (i didnt have any problems the first time ran straight pipes) (and please dont tell me whats legal or not, we live in the sticks)
Not a factory option, its an older truck so of coarse the exhaust would have rotted out and someone would have replaced it by now, Flowmaster is about the cheapest and most common kit to replace with.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:49 PM
you could put a y pipe where the muffler is and hook it to the 2 tailpipes and you wont hurt anything except maybe your gas mileage

Old 01-15-2010, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by ridinmudddy
you could put a y pipe where the muffler is and hook it to the 2 tailpipes and you wont hurt anything except maybe your gas mileage
That wont hurt gas mileage, thats basically a Magnaflow SI/DO.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
That wont hurt gas mileage, thats basically a Magnaflow SI/DO.
yeah i pretty much have that set up on my truck now, haha actually use to have a flowmaster muffler there too. it's pretty much like a flow through muffler except not legal but who really cares lol

heres a vid of mine, it's a 5.4 but still
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=its0Fam123k

Old 01-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Not a factory option, its an older truck so of coarse the exhaust would have rotted out and someone would have replaced it by now, Flowmaster is about the cheapest and most common kit to replace with.
yes, that and i see alot of these IMCO mufflers around here. and even glasspacks..the 3' ones or whatever..

that or the raptor mufflers from the parts store

Old 01-15-2010, 09:59 AM
yeah the straight Y-pipe was in place of the muffler to make it all open was my original plan but i never could find a stinkin Y-pipe anywhere around here. lookin like my only options gonna be to buy some pipe and fab one myself. aint no stores round here sell nothing like that.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by whackemnstackem
yeah the straight Y-pipe was in place of the muffler to make it all open was my original plan but i never could find a stinkin Y-pipe anywhere around here. lookin like my only options gonna be to buy some pipe and fab one myself. aint no stores round here sell nothing like that.
You seriously couldn't find one? Magnaflow does wonders.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-10778/

Old 01-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think he checked on line. lol

Old 01-15-2010, 07:12 PM
nope. i dont like buying stuff offline. i prefer to be able to hold it and know what im gettin before buying anything. i meant i checked every auto parts store within 20 miles, and even the specialty truck stores like "trick trucks".(very small invetory compared to what one would think they have) im problay gonna just fab a Y-pipe.

Last edited by whackemnstackem; 01-15-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Well we can tell good online stores that can provide you with as much help as possible, but most local auto stores don't keep specialty items.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ exactly

Old 01-16-2010, 02:49 AM

You can trust Summit Racing, or Performance Peddler, your privacy is withheld strongly with them, and you can score good deals through them, and excellent products. If you still chose not to, order the Y pipe through a store, go look at it, and decide if you wish to purchase.

Quick Reply: stock flowmasters to straight pipe questions