new exhaust, removed rear cats

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new exhaust, removed rear cats

This weekend my brother and I put on the summit racing 3" dual exhaust on my truck. Saturday I had my rear cats removed and replaced with stainless pipe at the local muffler shop.

The exhaust........NOBODY ever get the summit systems. They sound good without the rear cats, deep and loud like I want, but they were a p.i.t.a. and the directions were useless. There were 3 different hangers which go in the factory locations but all were different bends and the directions gave no clue to us on which goes where. The tailpipes were retarded and were an inch off in height and width (after messing around with align. them for over an hour and just pissing me off). The directions said nothing of the fact that you had to turn the muffler sideways in order for the pipes to work out. We had to do that so the drivers side wouldn't be 3in lower than the passengers side and so the drivers side wouldn't be touching the leaf spring and the frame. Headache... They were about 4-5 in. lower then my hitch and routed under the hitch. I ended up going to the exhaust shop that I had taked a few other vehicles to in the past and he completely redid the tailpipes so there would be no issue with anything looking so stupid. Lessen learned, you get what you pay for......

I guess whenever this rots out I'll just have to take it to the shop so I can watch them bend everthing up in person

I post some pics and a vid or two when its not blizzarding outside here in MI.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:08 PM
sorry for the headache but congrats on your system. removing the cats is what will make that truck come ALIVE!

Cheers!

Old 01-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe this is why no one buys them

Old 01-04-2010, 02:09 PM
At least you like the sound. It would have been really bad to go through all that work, and then find out you hate the sound!

Old 01-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Yah, I got the system for xmas, so, pretty cheap huh. But the money I put back into it kills me. oh well.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats why the only cat-backs worth buying are the heavy brand name ones that offer warranties and have a variety of truck cab and bed sizes. But congrats though.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow that sucks...good thing you got it all fixed though

Old 01-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Nothing a welder and a BFH can't fix!

Quick Reply: new exhaust, removed rear cats