"Double-Stacking" mufflers? Glasspack to Magnaflow to Exit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Double-Stacking" mufflers? Glasspack to Magnaflow to Exit?

Hey guys I just ordered my RBP Tip and 3" to 4" adapter, but am waiting on ordering the muffler...

Ive listened to a 4.6L f150 on youtube with the 22" maggie, and it still sounds too loud to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPtTfXEA0Lc

Would it cause problems or what it would it sound like if i put a Summit $25 3" in, 3" out glasspack about 10in. before the magnaflow muff?? Theres plenty of room in that intermediate pipe...

Would it make it deeper, quieter, torque affect?

Old 11-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it would make it quieter, alot of people do this, maybe a little deeper, but i doubt it affects performance

Old 11-26-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
22" maggie to loud... I never thought I would ever hear that...

Old 11-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
x2, atleast on a Ford truck. You could try it. I'd suggest a 14" Magnaflow round body because it will for sure dampen out sound.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
X3, just leave it stock. Maggies are too quiet to start with.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Whoa now dont jump all over me for wanting a quiet exhaust haha, im just terribly sick of the annoying drone in my lightning, and want a change....Im going to order the 22" maggie for now, (by the way, do i want the XL series or SS series? is there a difference??)

And if that is too loud, which from the sounds of it i dont think it will be, then ill do the 14" round maggie before it or the little glasspack..

thanks for the help though guys ....im used to being interested in power increase and loudness, not quietness, so this is all new to me...

(SS Maggie or XL?? they make the 22"x5"x11" , 3" in/out in both?)

All the components to this one/off exhaust setup should be in by the end of this week, ill be sure to post pics!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Where in Ocala are ya? Pretty small town, not many of us are on here hah.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by _cashel
Where in Ocala are ya? Pretty small town, not many of us are on here hah.
Haha i live over on off of 441 by the old Drive-In, dang I didnt know there was anyone from ocala on here lol...

Nice truck btw...i could probably park under you hah

Oh since youre local...I just ordered the magna 22" muffler and was gonna have a shop in town bend and run 3" piping for it? and weld in the muff and all that? who would you recommend thats not gonna rip me off?? Just a normal muff shop could probably handle it

Old 11-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Nice, I live off 475 towards 484/I75 on one of those farms.

I took everything to that red building off 441 across from the police department in Ocala (near 40). I can't remember the name of the place, but when I do, I'll post it. It's just a red building on the right hand side if you're heading north on 441, with an obvious muffler shop sign.

They charged me about $200 for labor + piping + tips (I brought in my own mufflers + cats + xpipe). I told them what I wanted and how I wanted it done, and they did it. They also installed my hi-flow cats without raising a fuss (which is pretty rare from what it sounds like on this forum). I had a one hanger that kept breaking for about 6 months, and all I had to do was take it in to them, and they'd weld it then and there free of charge, no questions asked.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:21 PM
nice, yeah thats modern muffler. They actualy screwed me over on an old 99 dodge ram 4x4 i had. I paid 385 for what I thought was a Flowmaster Si/Do muffler, piping, slash tips. Turns out after I sold the truck, the guy i sold it to took it somewhere and they proved that they were knockoff flows, (i had thought they were kind of quiet). I was pissed. But i guess if you bring in your own muffs it'd be alright.

I'm only having them weld in that Si/So muffler and run the 3" piping back to a 45 deg. exit behind the tire, so it shouldnt be near as much as yours as far as labor/piping/tips and alll that. Im supplying muffler and the tip (Black RBP tip )

Did you run 3" piping? ( i wanna have a good idea of what the cost should be before i go in there, they seemed kind of sheisty to me before...

Once the Muff, tip, and 3" to 4" adapter come in, ill shop around i guess

Old 11-29-2009, 12:39 PM
That's a shame, I've heard good things about them from pretty much everybody (cars and trucks). I went with 2.25" piping for the true duals, slashed tips, and also out 45* on either side of the truck.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:40 PM
is that why the exhaust pops?

Old 11-29-2009, 12:43 PM
also, who installed your PA body lift? Please say you did it yourself, BC youre hired if you did lol, I got a quote for 1200 installed for the PA 3", and i know the kit is only like 300 or something, which sucks...

your body style and mine are probably totally different install though, just a thought lol

Old 11-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Not too sure to be honest with you, I'm not the expert on exhaust systems. I was told that you want 2.25" piping if you're going with a true di/do system, and that the x-pipe was the way to go. In your case you're probably going to want a 2.5" or 3" setup, Darren should be able to point you in the right direction.

I love the sound though, it only pops when you sit there and rev it up real high like in that video. Otherwise it's real smooth and ballsy.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by svt4lyfe
also, who installed your PA body lift? Please say you did it yourself, BC youre hired if you did lol, I got a quote for 1200 installed for the PA 3", and i know the kit is only like 300 or something, which sucks...

your body style and mine are probably totally different install though, just a thought lol
lol yeah I installed it myself. Took a few days, but it's really not that complicated. More of a pain in the *** than anything else.

I've heard the newer body style trucks are even more of a pain in the ***, but again, it shouldn't be that bad as long as you have the directions, and a lot of patience.

edit: I go to school down here in Orlando, but I'll be back in Ocala for a good part of December for the break. When I'm not working, I'd probably be down to take a look at it and see how hard it really is to do the body lift on your truck.

Last edited by _cashel; 11-29-2009 at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply: "Double-Stacking" mufflers? Glasspack to Magnaflow to Exit?