Advice On K&N

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice On K&N

Well, I've done the Gotts mod with the silencer removal and have been real happy with the results. I have been planning on using a K&N drop in filter. I use one on my carbureted Harley Electra Glide and am happy with it. I am a bit hesitant to use one on my 2000 5.4 as I've read a bit about oil from the filter screwing with the maf sensor. I guess my question is, will I notice much difference in throttle response, exhaust note or gas mileage to offset negative consequences? Also, does anyone know why the silencer had that hole in the side, which allowed air into the molded section of the intake? I figure it has something to do with noise reduction, and am considering getting some ABS elbows and fashioning a 3" replacement section for where the silencer was located, giving the air a straight run. Any thoughts?

Old 11-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommer
Well, I've done the Gotts mod with the silencer removal and have been real happy with the results. I have been planning on using a K&N drop in filter. I use one on my carbureted Harley Electra Glide and am happy with it. I am a bit hesitant to use one on my 2000 5.4 as I've read a bit about oil from the filter screwing with the maf sensor. I guess my question is, will I notice much difference in throttle response, exhaust note or gas mileage to offset negative consequences? Also, does anyone know why the silencer had that hole in the side, which allowed air into the molded section of the intake? I figure it has something to do with noise reduction, and am considering getting some ABS elbows and fashioning a 3" replacement section for where the silencer was located, giving the air a straight run. Any thoughts?
The people that have problems with the K&N is that they oil it WAY too much if you oil it right you wont have any problems. I doubt you will notice much difference with it but atleast you dont have to worry about buying another filter with it.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanx, King Ranch Coy. Good point, I like the idea of the lifetime filter. I think I will probably go that route. A little extra free-flow of air can't hurt, either.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have had the dropin for 94,000 miles with no problem. You oil it correctly, it will not mess up the MAF. Now as far as noticing any difference, not too likely. It may help slightly. I like it because I can clean it every 15,000 to 20,000 miles and keep on trucking. I have done the stock intake mod, too.

On another note, you should clean the MAF occasionally anyway, get the dust, etc off, as it can really improve the smoothness of your engine.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanx for the tip, Jim. 94 thou is good enough for me. I will follow my original thought and go with the dropin. Seems to me I saw a page here about cleaning the MAF. I will do this as well. Thanx.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Old 11-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
As everyone has already said, you only have problems if you over-oil it. Don't forget about S&B filters, cheaper and almost identical to the K&N's with the same lifetime warranty.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I noticed a minor uptick in gas mileage when I dropped in the K&N, not much, but enough to be a positive thing. Honestly, in a stock configuration, filtration isn't the biggest problem, it's the bottle neck that the Gotts mod eliminates.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My CAI has a K&N cone filter... NO complaints

Old 11-23-2009, 07:17 PM
?

Originally Posted by Tommer
Thanx for the tip, Jim. 94 thou is good enough for me. I will follow my original thought and go with the dropin. Seems to me I saw a page here about cleaning the MAF. I will do this as well. Thanx.
181 k here on my personal van,over 1 million on all 10 of my vans-zero issues with mafs, then again- i do not over oil either

Old 11-24-2009, 11:42 PM
i recommend S&B drop in they are the company that makes or made the filters for the AF1 intakes...

Old 11-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Bluejay
Thanx for the link, Jim. That is the one I was looking for.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanx, Punisher. I would consider the S&B, but just bought the K&N dropin the other day. So far I like it. No ill effects, and no more replacing filters.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:43 PM
The biggest change came when I did the Gotts mod. Throttle response was noticeably improved. Removal of the silencer and addition of the K&N dropin seemed to deepen exhaust a bit, and you can here the air sucking into the intake when the hood is open and you step on the gas. I like all 3 mods.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanx, AVFrog! Great to hear all the good feedback about the oiled type filters.

Quick Reply: Advice On K&N