L MAF on N/A 5.4L Lariat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L MAF on N/A 5.4L Lariat?

Would my 00 F150 5.4L Lariat benefit from a Lightning 90mm MAF although I am N/A?

I know when I was in the mustang scene, a lot of people were throwing bigger MAF's on their 5.0L's to improve WOT power and throttle response. Any similar conditions with the F-150? Is the MAF a bottleneck on the F150 intake system? Any information would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

your stock maf is 80mm, the stock maf on the 99 and 00 L was an 80mm even. The later model L's used the 90mm. You will likely see very minimal gains (if any) from the L MAF especially considering your stock throttle body is only 65mm. You would be better off spending that money on UDP's, or Efans. You can port your stock throttle body to 70mm pretty easily and polish up the throttle body elbow.

Without a retune form the bigger maf you will run that thing lean as crap as well, which does make power but not safe.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gotts2BMe
your stock maf is 80mm, the stock maf on the 99 and 00 L was an 80mm even. The later model L's used the 90mm. You will likely see very minimal gains (if any) from the L MAF especially considering your stock throttle body is only 65mm. You would be better off spending that money on UDP's, or Efans. You can port your stock throttle body to 70mm pretty easily and polish up the throttle body elbow.

Without a retune form the bigger maf you will run that thing lean as crap as well, which does make power but not safe.
X2 probably no difference in the seat

Old 11-03-2009, 09:16 PM
The OEM MAF is plenty for what you have done...

You won't notice a difference switching to a larger one.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Ok cool, that's what I didn't know. (the size of the stock MAF) So what are you guys doing to improve the performance of your 2V 5.4L? I have heard UDP's, and I may try those out which do you recommend? March? BBK? I would like to do E-fans as well, is there really a big difference in doing this? Also, what tells the fans when to come on? Is there a sensor already in the truck? Or do you have to run an external switch?

Sorry for all the questions, I am not mechanically illiterate, just curious and looking for some feedback.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:16 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
I ran full bolt ons, on my green truck (including larger injectors) via the stock MAF

Old 11-05-2009, 09:20 AM
E-fans are a good bolt on, have someone who does auto wiring to help make things sooo easy. UDP's are in my opinion a waste of money, maybe on a heavier modified engine they're ok- mind you, only my opinion. I had a set on my old car and ran into cooling problems and charging issues. Cat backs are worth a bit of power and long tube headers. Next and maybe most important is the tune I think you already have. Don't bother with a larger t-body or MAF if those were plans, not until boosted with say a supercharger?

The efans I have turn on/off via 12v key on/off signal. Fans also go on when the a/c compressor signal clicks on. The temp probe goes thru the rad fins (carefully) and the temp they come on is determined by you. Actually, the controller I just got, Flex-a-lite came on exactly when I wanted it to right out of the box. I have pics in my gallery.

I know what you mean, there is only so much you can do to these tanks to move them short of supercharging them. That's why I got a used Lightning one, can't wait for that to begin.

Quick Reply: L MAF on N/A 5.4L Lariat?