Banks CAI

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Banks CAI

How many people here have actually used or use a Banks CAI? I'm looking to get a programmer and an intake for my truck but I would like to do them one at a time if possible. I spoke with a guy at Banks this morning (Raoul I think) about their intake kit and I asked him if I the truck would run fine with just the Banks CAI or if I would have to have their Ottomind tuner as well (just testing him; I plan to run an Xcal3 with custom tunes from VMP). He said that Banks was well aware that 04+ F150's with the 5.4L engine tend to run lean with a CAI kit installed and that the Banks CAI was designed to be used with the stock tune. He went on to say that if I wanted the most performance out of it naturally I would need a tuner but it's not required. What do yall think?

I read on the Troyer Performance site that the only two intakes that do not require custom tuning is the AF1 3" intake and the Airaid intake. However I don't think he tested any Banks units.

Last edited by 08FX4; 06-08-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I just installed the intake on my truck along with my Monster Exhaust (Single) and the Ottomind programmer and it has made a good difference to the truck but I have not ran the truck with just the intake. I am trying to figure out why my exhaust seems to be putting out a drone at certain rpm's that resonates through the frame and body into the cab to where you can hear it? It isn't horrible but you can definitely hear it at certain times and just thought that it would not have much noise in the cab. Have you had any problems with noise in the cab from your monster exhaust or can you hear it from in the cab? I think I might take off the clamps and make sure that all of my fittings are all the way in. Just let me know what you think. Got any pics of your exhaust and how it is installed so that I can compare? Thanks

Cody

Old 06-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by SlvrBrute
Hey I just installed the intake on my truck along with my Monster Exhaust (Single) and the Ottomind programmer and it has made a good difference to the truck but I have not ran the truck with just the intake. I am trying to figure out why my exhaust seems to be putting out a drone at certain rpm's that resonates through the frame and body into the cab to where you can hear it? It isn't horrible but you can definitely hear it at certain times and just thought that it would not have much noise in the cab. Have you had any problems with noise in the cab from your monster exhaust or can you hear it from in the cab? I think I might take off the clamps and make sure that all of my fittings are all the way in. Just let me know what you think. Got any pics of your exhaust and how it is installed so that I can compare? Thanks

Cody
Thanks for your insight on the CAI. I'm actually still waiting on the exhaust to arrive but once I get it I will take before and after pics as well as pics during the process. I'll most likely even make a new thread with a sound clip for those that are interested in the way the exhaust sounds.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If you had a 2004-2005, I would say do not risk running any air mod without a custom tune. You have a 2008 and should be fine if the tubing is a 3", but he is correct on minimal gains. The gains will be minimal without custom tunes. It will make more noise and sound as if it's doing great stuff, but it just can't until you have a tune that changes the range of air flow.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
If you had a 2004-2005, I would say do not risk running any air mod without a custom tune. You have a 2008 and should be fine if the tubing is a 3", but he is correct on minimal gains. The gains will be minimal without custom tunes. It will make more noise and sound as if it's doing great stuff, but it just can't until you have a tune that changes the range of air flow.
Thanks for your help Bluejay. In the back of my mind I think it would be okay to run the intake alone but I'm VERY picky when it comes to my truck (after all it is my hard earned dollars that pay it) so I think I'll wait until funds allow for both the CAI and the custom tunes to be bought at the same time. Seems like the wisest decision to me.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 08FX4
Thanks for your help Bluejay. In the back of my mind I think it would be okay to run the intake alone but I'm VERY picky when it comes to my truck (after all it is my hard earned dollars that pay it) so I think I'll wait until funds allow for both the CAI and the custom tunes to be bought at the same time. Seems like the wisest decision to me.
I agree and think the same way. Why risk it for 5 or so HP.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So do you guys think that I should trade in the banks ottomind for a tuner with custom tunes?

Quick Reply: Banks CAI