Very bad Magnaflow experince!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very bad Magnaflow experince!!!

Recieved today the 18" Magnaflow catback kit for my 06' Dakota, this first then my F250. Anyway, I get the old system off and start putting the new one on. I cannot get the muffler to fit onto the inlet pipe. So, I measure the muffler thinking they packaged the wrong muffler. I measure the muffler at 24" body. But, the kit I wanted, per Magnaflow's website stated 18" muffler body. So, I bend the muffler transition with a channell lock several times and it fits. Seems that this muffler needed a little talking to. Not a big deal. So I call Magnaflow and am told that their website information is wrong and that the 24" muffler is what belongs in the kit. I tell him that I didn't want the 24" sound. I wanted the 18" sound, per the specs. He says that he cannot help me, it's merely disinformation. Now, I am left with a truck with no exhaust or put this 24" on. I try to put in on but, the system is 1-2" short of what it needs to be. So I struggle moving one end here and another end there only to have each end fall off as soon as I get the minimum that I need. Very, fustrating! Finally, I conceed more than I deem safe on every end and I get it to work. After starting the truck I notice water leaks in multiple spots so, I tighten further, beyond the torque specs. Perhaps a little rigging on my part will correct the products fitment problem. But, I would rather have the 18" muffler, per Magnaflow specs.

Last edited by ommegang; 03-05-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:37 PM
dang sorry to hear about the bad experience...thats partly y i recomended takin it to a shop and theyl do it all perfect from stock to duals

Old 03-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Ya, but I prefer to things myself. The fitment on this particular vehicle was the issue. Perhaps all their other kits fit perfectly.

Last edited by ommegang; 03-05-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:28 PM
yea exactly

Old 03-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Don't rag on Magnaflow because you purchased the wrong kit...

Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by shaunakadub
Don't rag on Magnaflow because you purchased the wrong kit...
Heaven forbid someone say a negative word about magnaflow

Old 03-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Man, really sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
True about the order, but, someone shipped the incorrect kit. Who and where did you order from? If your Dakota has the 318, well atleast those sound good straight piped.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:31 AM
That's the point. It's not the wrong kit. The 18" muffler dimension listed on Magnaflow's website is/was incorrect. They, and their distrbuters, have incorrect information on this kit. A product editing error. The fact that the kit doesn't fit properly well, if I can find some different rubber hangers that will allow the dual outs closer to the muffler, and thus push everything back towards the cat 2", then all is well, except of course, the 24" muffler. Quality= fine. Fitment=poor. Magnaflow specs=poor. Just my experience with this kit on this vehicle. But, that's the point of the kit - do it yourself without having to buy extra parts or rigging anything. Just relaying my experience. Ultimatley, it can't help but sound better after removing my 33" stock muffler plus two 11" resonators. You think they wanted this 4.7L quiet?

Lance

Last edited by ommegang; 03-05-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ommegang
That's the point. It's not the wrong kit. The 18" muffler dimension listed on Magnaflow's website is/was incorrect. They, and their distrbuters, have incorrect information on this kit. A product editing error. The fact that the kit doesn't fit properly well, if I can find some different rubber hangers that will allow the dual outs closer to the muffler, and thus push everything back towards the cat 2", then all is well, except of course, the 24" muffler. Quality= fine. Fitment=poor. Magnaflow specs=poor. Just my experience with this kit on this vehicle. But, that's the point of the kit - do it yourself without having to buy extra parts or rigging anything. Just relaying my experience. Ultimatley, it can't help but sound better after removing my 33" stock muffler plus two 11" resonators. You think they wanted this 4.7L quiet?

Lance
33" muffler? Well that beats Ford 32" in the F150 I think they did, but its Dodge, which has the loudest engine, what do you expect

Quick Reply: Very bad Magnaflow experince!!!