question for old truck exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face question for old truck exhaust.

i have a question about my 1988 ford f150 single cab ext. bed auto 4x4 5.0L V8 FI OHV double gas tank. i am looking to upgrade the exhaust. i know theres a lot of threads here about exhuast but i didnt find any with they type of motor or around the same year truck so i figured i should ask. my question is what kind of headers/exhuast i should use i am looking for power/tourqe money is not an issue.

1) i was thinking along the lines for headers the collectors 1 5/8 L/T's coated (with something not painted) but dont know which brand to go with.

2) type of exhaust... was thinking to take out cats (straight pipes) make it a true dual exhaust, straight back with some heartthrob or cherry bombs for mufflers. what should be my pipe size to connect everything? (i am getting that custom made just need size).

anytype of comment would be conciderd anybody go same/almost same set up please let me know thank you.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes, long tubes, take out the cats, and single chamber cherry bombs

2.5" piping

Old 01-15-2009, 09:01 PM
coated L/T's with 1 5/8'' piping to a y pipe with a SI/SI muffler to 2.5'' or up to 3'' pipe coming out of the muffler. Duals do not create enough velocity on a stock motor so you lose power.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by RED4X4
coated L/T's with 1 5/8'' piping to a y pipe with a SI/SI muffler to 2.5'' or up to 3'' pipe coming out of the muffler. Duals do not create enough velocity on a stock motor so you lose power.
on a baffeled muffler yes you typically would lose power and you retain a better torque w/ SI/SO with pretty much any muffler but if he went dualed out magnaflow or borla or somethign he shouldnt have any loss in power considering he is goin w/ header and ditchin the cats

Old 01-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by abervintageman4
on a baffeled muffler yes you typically would lose power and you retain a better torque w/ SI/SO with pretty much any muffler but if he went dualed out magnaflow or borla or somethign he shouldnt have any loss in power considering he is goin w/ header and ditchin the cats
Go away. You know nothing about exhaust either. Duals out of the muffler will result in a power loss due to the loss of velocity. Having headers will not compensate for or make up for the loss of power from the duals.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:13 PM
abervintageman4 is right, and if you throw in a X or H pipe you should see gains.

X pipe will gain more in the higher rpms, but you will not lose any torque.

H pipe gives a deeper sound over the X pipe and gains more in the low end.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Go away. You know nothing about exhaust either. Duals out of the muffler will result in a power loss due to the loss of velocity. Having headers will not compensate for or make up for the loss of power from the duals.
wow your such a *****, i know plenty of people have not noticed any loss of power to duals, if he went with a dual straight through muffler he would not lose any, if you feel you need to ask someone that can back me up ask darren, he is pretty much the exhaust guy aroudn here

Old 01-15-2009, 10:14 PM
lol

since you are the authority on air flow, explain to me the ins/outs of vp,sp, and tp

Last edited by openclasspro#11; 01-16-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:26 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
qbenplaya00 - coated headers are better than painted, straight pipes have no mufflers, but taking out the cats and runing "mufflers" of your choice exiting in the location of your choice. but I would not run any larger than 2.5 inch pipes then add some 3.5 x 18 inch tips

and for the rest of you; since dual 2.5 exhaust will perform the same as a single 3 inch

Old 01-16-2009, 05:45 PM
2.5" x2 moves alot more gases than 3" x1

Old 01-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
2.5" x2 moves alot more gases than 3" x1
At higher rpm's out of the power band yeah which makes duals useless in stock truck applications. The 3'' will have more velocity than the duals in the powerband.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Ttt

Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
since you are the authority on air flow, explain to me the ins/outs of vp,sp, and tp
ttt

Old 01-18-2009, 12:56 AM
Thumbs up

thanks to everyone that chipped in a little info. i kind of see what it is that i want. and no need to fight over opinions thats why they are called "opinions".... what i have heard from 3" tubing is that you only use that kind when your running a turbo or supercharger. other then that since my motor is stock i dont think i need much bigger. and somethig was said about 3" and high end power... well i don't race my truck everytime i turn it on or at every red light. so that wouldnt benifit me at all sicne its a daly driver. but thanks anyway to all. awsome forum!

Quick Reply: question for old truck exhaust.