ahh what muffler to get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ahh what muffler to get?

Ok I want to purchase a new muffler to replace my flowmaster 50 series. I originally had pipes ran out the back but cut them off due to them vibrating against the frame because i had an incompotent sho make the pipes. So now its dumped but it just aint loud enough. I want a loud deep rumble but have no clue what to get. and Correct me if im wrong but the smaller the muffler, the louder it will sound... right?

Old 08-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by awg-8
Ok I want to purchase a new muffler to replace my flowmaster 50 series. I originally had pipes ran out the back but cut them off due to them vibrating against the frame because i had an incompotent sho make the pipes. So now its dumped but it just aint loud enough. I want a loud deep rumble but have no clue what to get. and Correct me if im wrong but the smaller the muffler, the louder it will sound... right?
yep smaller the muffler louder it is i have tru dual 10 series flowmasters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nezTBIV8bOA with magnaflow hi flow converters...and its pretty loud if your lookin for just right out loudness id say hack the muffler off and run pipe back and just have straights or do the glasspack route if you want legal...if your lookin for a good soundin pretty loud then get a single chamber muffler as flowmaster 10 series or a cherry bomb single in dual out will be louder than single in single out

Old 08-03-2008, 12:06 AM
cherry bombs sound good. i like pretty much every series flowmaster. i like the way they sound with just cutting out the mufflers and using a y pipe. but i'd get a flowmaster 40 series and start from there. if you want it louder then cut out two cats. and if you still want it louder replace the remaining cats with high flow maggies. and you can get prebent tail pipes for $16 from some places and they will fit your truck without touching the frame.

Last edited by Matts ford; 08-03-2008 at 12:07 AM. Reason: cai will deepen the sound and make it a tad bit louder
Old 08-03-2008, 01:37 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
want deep and loud, true dual Flowmaster super 44s or 10 series with hi-flow cats. Or Dynomax bullet mufflers, that would probably be the loudest.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Bullets=Very loud i love my bullets thoe only 40 bucks on summit.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:59 PM
ok found the bullets, but are they deep also? I have a 4.6l but I dont want it soundn like a ricer

Old 08-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by awg-8
ok found the bullets, but are they deep also? I have a 4.6l but I dont want it soundn like a ricer
ok im not sure if you know but the 4.6l is a v8....

my 4.6l w/ the super 44 is pretty loud. i can set off car alarms but i still want it much louder. if you want loud chop the muffler off and there ya go. my old truck woke up my neighbor just startin her up.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
ok im not sure if you know but the 4.6l is a v8....

my 4.6l w/ the super 44 is pretty loud. i can set off car alarms but i still want it much louder. if you want loud chop the muffler off and there ya go. my old truck woke up my neighbor just startin her up.
yea no matter how big the v8 is...its gonna sound like a v8 no matter what you can have a 2.0 liter v8 and it will sound like all other v8's

check out my sig

Old 08-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Cut the two large cats off, and run true duals w/x-pipe and 14"L 4"round body magnaflows.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:10 PM
i have a 4.6L Longtube headers and 3"Bullets True duals i set off car alarms all the time and for those harder car alarms i can open the cut-outs Yes the bullets are nice and deep sounding. They only pop if you sit there and rev it over 3,000RPM's althogh one day i ran it till it got warmed up and reved it to 5,000 and no poping at all i was confuzed.. I like the bullets Short sweet and to the point Also pretty cheap

Old 08-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by shifty_85
i have a 4.6L Longtube headers and 3"Bullets True duals i set off car alarms all the time and for those harder car alarms i can open the cut-outs Yes the bullets are nice and deep sounding. They only pop if you sit there and rev it over 3,000RPM's althogh one day i ran it till it got warmed up and reved it to 5,000 and no poping at all i was confuzed.. I like the bullets Short sweet and to the point Also pretty cheap
yea shifty if its cold itll pop when you rev it...it its warm it wont pop as much if any and i like my 10 series..short and right to the point as well

Old 08-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Im pretty sure there all the same as a glass pack. Just diff. Names and materials used. I like dynomax mufflers always flow well. But if a stright threw muffler doesnt flow well...You got issuses haha. and ive heard some people having probs with there Glass packs rusting out. My buddy has a set on his El camino and they rusted out pretty fast but they were only 20 bucks at Murrys.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Im pretty sure there all the same as a glass pack. Just diff. Names and materials used. I like dynomax mufflers always flow well. But if a stright threw muffler doesnt flow well...You got issuses haha. and ive heard some people having probs with there Glass packs rusting out. My buddy has a set on his El camino and they rusted out pretty fast but they were only 20 bucks at Murrys.
yea i wanted glasspacks on my old truck but my exhaust guy advised me against it...he said they would rot out in about 2 years..so i went with no muffler hahaha straights....dude the other day i saw a 97 f150 and the guy said he got it new and got tru dual glasspacks put on it that day....never swaped them out..so thats a 11 year old exhaust and the pipe was rusted off right before the 'packs so it wasnt connected and the tips had all kinda holes rusted in them...i was ashamed and with all that....i failed his state inspection hahahahhahahahaha

Old 08-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Haha my pipes are under the truck so no one cane see what they look like haha...and theres not much to my exhuast any ways haha Headers/Cutouts/Muffler/.....Nothing! haha i think each bank includeing the headers prob weghs only like 10-20lbs haha No X pipe or exhuast hangers needed here

Old 08-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Haha my pipes are under the truck so no one cane see what they look like haha...and theres not much to my exhuast any ways haha Headers/Cutouts/Muffler/.....Nothing! haha i think each bank includeing the headers prob weghs only like 10-20lbs haha No X pipe or exhuast hangers needed here
dude how does that work!?!?!?! no hangers???

Quick Reply: ahh what muffler to get?