Need help deciding..

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help deciding..

I have a 4.6 08 reg cab and I know I want the Magnaflow cat-back but I cannot decide on dual rear exit, dual side before the tire exit or sing side behind the tire exit. Are there any pros or cons that any of you have found to either of these? Other than looks. I know what they all look like and I honestly don't have a preference but is there any sound or performance difference? The muffler is the same so it should be fairly even across the board I would think. I am looking for a deep low rumble and I believe this system will get me what I am looking for.

Let me also clarify that I don't want to run true duals or an x pipe or anything special like that. I am looking for good sound and maybe some performance but also at a decent cost. I have also decided that Magnaflow is the way I want to go. I also do not have the option of custom bending as no place close to me does mandrel bends. Since I hold a 40 hour job and am in college (37 years old and in college) I do not have a lot of time to go searching.

Ok, I think I covered all the bases. Opinions?

Old 06-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well it would be very best if you have mandrel bends, most free flowing pipe style and the more free flowing the more your gains will be.

Straight out the back is most common, but if your towing it could smoke up whatever is being towed, and the sound could reflect off the object your towing and louden the drive.

45 degree side swept looks great on 4wds and off road trucks, my personal opinion. Its louder because since both pipes are facing the corners & some of the side of the truck, the sound echos to those areas making it sound better outside, and very awesome in a parking garage or against a building.

For your truck, I vote for straight out the back because with your truck configuration Single Cab Short Bed, side swept might look a little odd on it.

Not to make you think more but have you thought of side exit before right rear tire? Thats a very popular exit for single cabs.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Yes, actually I am sort of torn between the 16613 (single side behind the tire) and the 16617 (dual side before the tire). The only problem I have with the rear dual exit is they tend to move around over time and endd up misaligned.

Last edited by Blue150; 06-26-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Blue150
Yes, actually I am sort of torn between the 16613 (single side behind the tire) and the 16612 (dual side before the tire). The only problem I have with the rear dual exit is they tend to move around over time and endd up misaligned.
oh ok. I didn't read the thread right I thought you meant rear exit

I vote before tire.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:02 AM
lol, no problem. I think the dual before the tire would be easier to install. I also thought about getting the single rear exit and cutting it off so it would be a dump just over the axle.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Does performance peddler not respond to best offers anymore? I have submitted two and got no response.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:48 AM

Not sure, I recently had quite a difficult time with Performance Peddler. I never bought from them before so now I have quite a low opinion on them, I ordered my Magnaflow tips from them on june 14th, they shipped on the 18th and I just got them yesturday the 25th. Throughout that wait they did not answer back to my track # requests ( didn't provide me with one until I called and complained about their inactive internet service ) and they stated delivery by UPS, but it came from FedEx... In my opinion they dont have their heads on just right.. I've always been a Summit Racing guy should have just waited for them to order the tips and them ship them to me, would have been here 4 days sooner.

Trending Topics

Old 06-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Blue150
I also thought about getting the single rear exit and cutting it off so it would be a dump just over the axle.
what??!!??

Old 06-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Some of the guys here have cut their exhaust off before it gets to the rear bumper. stopping it just past the axle. It keeps it hidden from view. I had thought about doing that too.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding..