most annoying cold air intake noise plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
most annoying cold air intake noise plz help!

have you ever heard a dog bite on its rubber squeeze toy? that annoying sound? well i bought a cold air intake from AFE (dry flow filter) and everytime i let off the throttle, that stupid high pitched "Squeeze toy" noise comes out of the intake. sometimes i get it just when i cruise. anyone else have this problem???

Old 11-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did it do this befoe the intake was added?
if not then it is normal, all aftermarket intakes make noise, some worse than others, you should get used to it-if it bothers you that much put stock airbox back in

Old 11-11-2007, 12:35 AM
Ya get what ya pay for, yes...

Get used to it or return to stock.. or try another intake that doesn't make weird noises...

Good Luck!!

Old 11-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Location: INDIANA,.....USA " Where more than Corn grows in Indiana"!!!
What size engine is it 4.6 or 5.4 ?? And what year also?My 97 with a 4.6 did this too till I figured out how to fix it.
Lariat#1

Old 11-28-2007, 08:47 PM
this whistleing noise is just because of the filter so you could try replacing it. my filter does it but i think its cool cause it whistles like a turbo and my bro's sounds like a jet is flying behind you if you are in the car in front of him thats kinda neat to but they can really be annoying. actually my dads 2008 does it just a lil bit with kis stock filter dont worry its normal

Old 11-29-2007, 11:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 99, it did it all the time 2 with my ebay intake especially around 70mph with overdrive off.My 05 w/K&N CIA,nothing at all except the deep growl when I'm getting on it.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:49 AM
just get an AF1.

Trending Topics

Old 11-30-2007, 02:13 AM
i think mimne did it for a lil bit on my drive to AZ. it was kinda cool but it had me worried, but once i got here it didnt do it anymore so i just forgot about it

Old 11-30-2007, 03:43 AM
Easiest way to fix that is to turn the volume **** on your stereo to a higher setting. Seems most cold air intakes make some kind of squeak. I know mine does.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:38 PM
i know what your talking about i had this same problem with the 20 buck air intake i decided to try on ebay. you dont even get what you pay for. you might as well drill holes in your stock air intake housing for more air flow but i replaced it with a k&n and the problem went away

Old 12-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Yea, mine kinnda does it but it's not really noticeable. You can tell though, if I drive around the 60-80 range with O/D off. Any sort of fluctuation in the throttle makes a whistling sound. Really, that's the only way get to hear mine.

It's more a whistle like when you blow through your teeth than a high pitched "sqeekie toy" whistle. I don't really mind it at all

BTW, I have an AFE, but not the dry flow one.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:36 AM
What truck, engine, programer if any do you have?

Old 12-03-2007, 11:10 AM
I had the same thing, the gasket that goes between the end of the plenum and the TB was sort of worn out, so I went to Auto Zone and got some gasket material, made a new gasket, and the whistle was gone

Old 12-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Mine just sounds like its sucking up air at lower speeds. Not much I can do about it, apparently I am not the only one living with a noisy intake.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Fordinski
have you ever heard a dog bite on its rubber squeeze toy? that annoying sound? well i bought a cold air intake from AFE (dry flow filter) and everytime i let off the throttle, that stupid high pitched "Squeeze toy" noise comes out of the intake. sometimes i get it just when i cruise. anyone else have this problem???
Me too my friend. Most of the posts say "get use to it" or "you get what you pay for". Well, when you ask for help, insults and lame comments don't make the $250.00 hole in your pocket feel any better. I have the exact same complaint that you have and have the same setup, with the exception that I have the 5R Progressive 5-Layer filter (not dry) on mine. I thought it was a vacuum leak it's so bad. I actually took it to the dealer to make sure something else wasn't wrong. If you are trying to maintain speed and are barely cracking the throttle off and on to do so, it sounds like you're playing a tune. When it changes gears it sounds like a teenagers import tuner with a Turbo on it. I hear you loud and clear and am just as dissapointed as you are. It Sucks! and NO all cold air intakes DON'T make this type of racket. I have had several, though not on a Ford, and they only sounded off when your foot was in it, not continuously.

Ironically, I just got off of the phone with AFE and they said they would ask Engineering for suggestions. They also said that a pre-filter (sock) would normally be suggested, but they don't make one for this size filter yet. He said that the "sock" would reduce airflow by 1% or so, but it may be enough to kill the sounds. I'll let you know what he says, if he calls me back. If not, I guess trying another brand or type is the only option.

Quick Reply: most annoying cold air intake noise plz help!