What is the best cold air intake system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 05:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nevermind, I'll start my own thread

Last edited by Stormstaff; 07-20-2006 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are 4 or 5 decent kits that people are using. If you search a bit on the site you'll find plenty of threads about each one.

Most people on this forum seem to prefer AF1 or K&N, but there are a fair share that seem to like the Volant and the Outlaw.

The Volant seems to be the only "true" CAI becuase it's enclosed and still connects to the fender, but Troyer and others have shown it to have offer less performance than the others. However, there are a number of threads that say removing the cover helps bring the power back up, although by removing the cover, you've effectively turned it into the same set-up as the other kits; that is an open/exposed filter.

For ~$300, I'm not sure these kits have much to offer, even though I have the K&N kit in my truck. Even if you gain the 15hp K&N claims, you'd be luck to gain even a tenth of a second in a quarter mile run, and gas mileage improvements are also limited to barely noticable values. Although any improved gas mileage is a benefit with todays prices.

Quick Reply: What is the best cold air intake system?