Oxygen sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oxygen sensors

Hello All.

Per Mike T.'s recommendation, I decided to replace the o2 sensors on my '01 F-150 (95K miles). 3 of the 4 sensors came out with no problems, but the driver's side rear sensor was really stuck. So stuck infact that I had to hack the sensor apart before I could get it out. I messed-up the threads a little bit, but it looks like a strip (about 1/4") of the threads on the sensor somehow got stuck to the threads on the cat.

Any way, now I'm looking for a tap large enough to clean-up the threads. Does anyone know where I might find one?

I already talked to a local muffler shop, they want to cut-out the cat, plug the old bung, install a new one and weld the cat back up again. They said it would cost about $200 to repair, and I'm sure I can find a tap for less than that.

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

Old 07-07-2006, 11:22 AM
A buddy of mine had the samething happen to him on a Windstar. He was lucky to be able to use one from a local repair shop. Check out ebay, and look around the web. Harbor Freight may have something also. And good luck!

Old 07-15-2006, 12:00 PM
I did the same thing on my old 97 150. I was lucky to find the tools for rent @ autozone. The guy even came out with a floor jack and crawled under the truck and helped me remove the old broken threaded part. I used a wooden dowel (temp. plug) to get it there. I was told If driven that way very long I could cause internal engine damage though. We did get it removed and installed a new 02 sensor. tool rental cost five dollars. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Oxygen sensors