Gibson vs Magnaflow whats Difference

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gibson vs Magnaflow whats Difference

New to this forum and have a question. I would like to know what the difference is between Gibson and Magnaflow? Personal opinions are welcome and I would like to find some hard data. Also on sound, because that seems to be main reason for getting an exhaust. One other thing; what kind of mpg numbers has anyong experienced before and after an exhaust change.
Thank you

New owner of 2006 f150 flareside
4.6L

Old 02-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by redrascal
New to this forum and have a question. I would like to know what the difference is between Gibson and Magnaflow? Personal opinions are welcome and I would like to find some hard data. Also on sound, because that seems to be main reason for getting an exhaust. One other thing; what kind of mpg numbers has anyong experienced before and after an exhaust change.
Thank you

New owner of 2006 f150 flareside
4.6L
Welcome redrascal,

I had a 98 F-150 with a 4.6 and a SISO Gibson stainless system. I really didn't notice any mpg changes and as far as sound it was slightly louder than stock. IMO there are other brands out there that are better than Gibson. I've heard that Magnaflow sounds good on ours truck but never witnessed it. I have Borla SIDO system on my truck now and I love it. Noticeably louder than stock but not annoying. NO DRONE at all rpm's. Sounds like stock at idle but growls when accelerating. If you haven't looked into Borla you may want to. They are more expensive than magnaflow and gibson but IMO worth it.

What kind of system are you looking to get. Dual system or a single. Just replacing muffler?

Hope that helped out

Old 02-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Well thats the big question. If there are no significant gains in mpg with a cat back system. Then the cost affective method would be too go with just a muffler and tip. Ideally would like a dual system would be nice. The main reason I looked at Gibson was that they have dual that comes out on the same side after the rear tire. I think that magnaflow is coming out with a smilar setup.

I try to look at these hop-ups in cost break down (i.e. recoup cost in improved mpg or just gotta have). My analyzing drives my wife nuts.

Thats why I would like any and all input.

I just don't want to stir up a big contraversy.

Eric

Old 02-08-2006, 01:33 PM
I have a Magnaflow SI/DO exiting before passenger rear. I like the sound that it makes, at idle you know its not stock but only slightly louder, turns heads though when you get on it. As for the MPG increase, if I drive it like I did before the exhaust I noticed a 1-2 mile increase. It's hard to keep my foot out of the gas even after months of having it installed.

Old 02-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Banned
well, I personally don't like gibson, they are to quite.. But either way I'd just go in to a muffler shop tell them the magnaflow muffler you want and tell them you want dual out with the bent behind the rear tire and tell which one..

Quick Reply: Gibson vs Magnaflow whats Difference