F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Exhaust & Intake Systems (https://www.f150online.com/forums/exhaust-intake-systems-27/)
-   -   Which muffler provides the most power? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/exhaust-intake-systems/196266-muffler-provides-most-power.html)

f150tucson 05-04-2005 12:42 PM

Which muffler provides the most power?

Hey guys. I've done searches and read most of the threads but I can't figure out which exhaust provides the most power. I'm going to do a 3' catback on my 5.4L but I can't determine which one to get. Thanks for any input.

thomasj 05-04-2005 12:50 PM

There are many opinions on this, but if I am not mistaken Magnaflow is the only catback that showed increased horsepower while not loosing any of your low end torque. After putting my system on, it seems to have given a little more power, but it is not earth shattering. I think to get that kind of power gains you would need to combine a catback with an intake and possibly a chip.

seemlessstate 05-05-2005 10:01 AM

cherry bombs or glasspacks restrict the less because of a straight through design. so this will add some power over a bafle design

APT 05-05-2005 11:15 AM

I would put Borla and Magnaflow 3" single outlet systems on par for the best performance. Replacing the OEM y-pipe is also a great idea!

Keep in mind replacing the muffler alone or a custom exhaust will not get consistent results.

f150tucson 05-05-2005 11:16 AM

Would the y-pipe be replaced if I got a 3' catback?

MGDfan 05-05-2005 12:31 PM

Nope.

Hi.

It's a separate piece.

Looks like this:

http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...atalogno=10778

As for catbacks - the #15609 Magnaflow is also available from the same vendor.

Cheers

bigtruck311 05-05-2005 01:05 PM

every one is going to have a diffrent opinion on this unless someone can show you dyno sheets from before and after on all the diffrent mufflers it is really just your prefrence, i recomend flowmaster myself had it on many diffrent vehicles and it has been a awsome system on every one , good luck on whatever you choice:thumbsup:

f150tucson 05-05-2005 01:07 PM

I am leaning more towards flowmaster. I know that there's a couple different ones for an F150, but wich one is better?

MGDfan 05-05-2005 02:11 PM

None of 'em... ;-))

If you Searched enough, you'd likely find more complaints than kudos for Flowmaster, and the reverse for Magnaflow , Borla, etc.

As APT and others have stated numerous times - if sound is more important to you than performance, by all means get a Blowmaster.

I chose performance - and I also happen to like the Magnaflow sound.

BigTruck - I don't have a dyno sheet for Maggies - but I do have Mike Troyer's R&D and endorsement. That's enough for me. You trusted him to tune your truck, correct?

It is your truck.

Cheers

bigtruck311 05-05-2005 03:09 PM

Re: None of 'em... ;-))

Originally posted by MGDfan
If you Searched enough, you'd likely find more complaints than kudos for Flowmaster, and the reverse for Magnaflow , Borla, etc.

As APT and others have stated numerous times - if sound is more important to you than performance, by all means get a Blowmaster.

I chose performance - and I also happen to like the Magnaflow sound.

BigTruck - I don't have a dyno sheet for Maggies - but I do have Mike Troyer's R&D and endorsement. That's enough for me. You trusted him to tune your truck, correct?

It is your truck.

Cheers

flowmaster is a great system and everyone who has one that i have talked to loves it, the only ones talking trash are the guys with the magnablows becouse they paid way more than i did for my flowmaster, yes i did trust mike to tune my truck and if he had a contract for selling flowmaster i am sure he would do alot of r@d on them but he doesnt so he does his r@d on the magnablows, f150tucson find one of your friends or someone you work with that has both of the exausts and ask them how they like each one, i am slightly biased because i have been using flowmaster for years and never once had a complaint, i have never used magnaflow but they seem way to pricey for me, it is your truck find something you like and good luck, and MGDfan when you find a guy that has dynoed his truck with both systems and can prove that the magnablow outperform in everyway then i will be a believer will i go and pay the price for the manaflow probably not but we will both have gained knowledge, not trying to bash magnablow but you can keep it and i will keep indorsing flowmaster it has been tried and true for me for many many years

bigtruck311 05-05-2005 03:13 PM

Originally posted by f150tucson
I am leaning more towards flowmaster. I know that there's a couple different ones for an F150, but wich one is better?
it all depends on how loud you want it to be and if you care if you have a drone at mid rpm(highway driving) if you want a quiter sound go with the 50 series if you want max performance go with the 40 series, i have had my 40 since the truck was new and love it, good luck

f150tucson 05-05-2005 04:06 PM

I had a Flowmaster ( I don't know which one) on my previous truck which was an Exploder and I loved it. Had no problems what so ever. I'll probably get the 40 series for my new f-150 ( I love saying that) but was just doing some research for some extra power. Thanks for all your input.

bigtruck311 05-05-2005 05:00 PM

i am sure you will love it got the 40 on mine and sounds great, install was easy and the price was right on, good luck and good choice:beers:

351FordGuy 05-05-2005 10:59 PM

yeah you paid less for your noflow master because its not stainless like magnaflow is. I can tell you for a fact that magnaflow is a much better system. all stainless, increased power gains. flowmasters dont help much at all, they have been proven not to on many cars and trucks. all they are is for sound

APT 05-06-2005 07:24 AM

Re: Re: None of 'em... ;-))

Originally posted by bigtruck311
flowmaster is a great system and everyone who has one that i have talked to loves it...
Ask them all why they love it? (95% will say sound)

when you find a guy that has dynoed his truck with both systems and can prove that the magnablow outperform in everyway

Troyer has.

"We spent 23 months testing virtually all of the "name brand" cat-back exhaust systems on the market for the Ford F-150 platform, in SISO, SIDO & DIDO configurations. This Magnaflow was the only F-150 system that showed positive torque gains at any throttle position tested, as well as at any rpm. There is NONE of the usual torque loss below 3000 rpm that is so common with almost all truck & SUV cat-back exhaust systems."

How about reverse the table? Show me one custom exhaust or any Flowmaster muffler or cat-back system that has outperformed the Magnaflow? I haven't seen it on 97-03 F-150 in the last 6 years I've onwned them.

dwl0222 05-06-2005 07:25 AM

i have had a flowmaster 40 series on my 4.6 for about 8 or 9 months now and would not even consider getting a different system! I still find myself rolling down the windows in cold weather just to listen to the powerfull sound the flowmaster creates. I dont know about any power gain but any power gain you get from any muffler is going to be very small anyway, unless you get many other mods to go with it. My .02 cents, get the 40 series! You will love it and more importantly other people will love it and like me you will get many compliment on the sound!!! As for price, i got mine (single in dual out) on ebay for 45 bucks!! And yes it was brand new!!

MGDfan 05-06-2005 07:29 AM

And again... ;-))

bigtruck wrote:

"flowmaster is a great system and everyone who has one that i have talked to loves it, the only ones talking trash are the guys with the magnablows becouse they paid way more than i did for my flowmaster, yes i did trust mike to tune my truck and if he had a contract for selling flowmaster i am sure he would do alot of r@d on them but he doesnt so he does his r@d on the magnablows, f150tucson find one of your friends or someone you work with that has both of the exausts and ask them how they like each one, i am slightly biased because i have been using flowmaster for years and never once had a complaint, i have never used magnaflow but they seem way to pricey for me, it is your truck find something you like and good luck, and MGDfan when you find a guy that has dynoed his truck with both systems and can prove that the magnablow outperform in everyway then i will be a believer will i go and pay the price for the manaflow probably not but we will both have gained knowledge, not trying to bash magnablow but you can keep it and i will keep indorsing flowmaster it has been tried and true for me for many many years"

------ ~ -----

*Sigh*....

So, what you are basically saying is: you trust Mike to provide custom tuning for your truck, but you don't trust his R&D on exhaust systems. He has previously stated ( many times) that he has *already* extensively tested and dyno'd all the major catbacks for these trucks, and found Magnaflow to be the best in terms of performance ( retention of low-end torque and gains in HP ).

Now, I don't know about you, but Mike has never struck me as the kind of guy who would peddle anything other than the best components - stuff that he believes in and actually uses himself.

To my knowledge, he has *never* mislead anyone with his advice. He does not seel stuff that doesn't work, or stuff that he hasn't thoroughly tested. That's why his reputation is beyond reproach.

To say that he would peddle Blowmaster over Magnaflow contractually is just plain old B.S, fella. Go ask him. In a contest between his advice and yours... you Lose, boy.

Now - why don't you show us your dyno sheets to corroborate *your* belief that Blowmasters are superior? Not sound, performance. You want cheap and sound - go Green 98's route and straight-pipe it ;-)).

As for price - I got a great deal on my Maggie - it's stainless too. Approx $100 difference and simply no comparison w.r.t quality.
Looking at the mods on your truck - price can't be a major factor in any case.

I'm a relative Noob here - but folks like Max Mitchell and Neal are not. Guess what systems they believe in? By all means, don't listen to me, but you disregard their sound advice at your peril.

Max/Neal - where are you in my time of need??? Some pix are in order!

Cheers, big guy - it's Friday. And never any hard feelings...

bigtruck311 05-06-2005 04:36 PM

MGDfan, this is going nowere, you got what you like i got what i like agreed? mine was $100+ cheaper my whole system cost me 170$ install welding did myself, so lets call this a draw and drink some beers agreed?

:beers:

bigtruck311 05-06-2005 04:39 PM

i can show my dyno sheet with my current # but that is with all mods, bet i beat most of you guys with magnablows(i got alot done besides exaust so it is cheating):D :beers:

max mitchell 05-06-2005 09:36 PM

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...529-115143.jpg

Neal ran Flowmasters originally and replaced them with Magnaflows. I believe he mentioned the baffles rotting out. If you search Mike's posts in ascending order, you'll see that his recommendations have evolved. Also, I find it quite humorous for someone to hail one straight-through muffler as "King of them all". I haven't seen anyone here ever post a complete muffler evaluation, including dyno charts, listing which mufflers were and weren't tested. I've never recommended Flowmasters on F-150s because most are low-flowing, chambered, mild steel versions. I suggest a single exhaust system, so low flow becomes more important when you run ONE muffler. I like the original Flowmaster 40's sound and I know that they're very popular on Mustangs with duals. I've recommended a straight-through design, high-flow, stainless steel muffler the entire time I've been here. Although Magnaflow is the latest kid on the block, I've always recommended the Dynomax Ultra-flow, followed by Borla. Borla is great if you like a mild sound. Since my recommendation is never taken, I don't typically mention the brand anymore. The version I installed on my 2000 5.4 had a flow rate of 2200cfms; 6-7 times that of a Flowmaster. I like a throaty sound and it delivered. My recommendation isn't clouded by a warehouse of products to push. IMO Dynomax's parent company has a better reputation: http://www.tenneco-automotive.com/ov...financial.html As usual, there are varied opinions and members take what they want from them. Picture a cow with a nose ring....anyone comes along, hooks on it, and guides them around.

mudflinger150 05-07-2005 05:07 PM

Can anybody say with authority exactly how much horsepower is being lost at low RPM's on flowmasters. How can there be so much talk of "Loss of power" when I havent seen a piece of damn paper to prove it.

I have put true dual flowmaster 40's on 2 different 4.6L's and never noticed any loss of power. One truck I noticed a considerable amount of gain at highway speed. The other truck not as much at highway speed but still an improvement. Different gearing as well so different powerband usage.

And on top of the power gains that I KNOW are there......you have a sweet sound coming from behind, that I could listen to all day long.

ScrewedUPF150 05-08-2005 04:24 PM

FLOWMASTER!!!!!!!

I too have a Flowmaster muffler. I you want a nice sound then you cant go wrong with them. The hp claim is just that. I dont see you getting any type of noticeable gain from a muffler. As for the chrome Magnaflow muffer, who is gonna know its chrome unless you get under the the truck to look? I sure wouldnt get under the truck to polish it and keep it shining. I'll bet most of the guys with them dont polish them either. The chrome is just a waste. The extra money can be spent on chrome tips that will be seen and compliment your truck. I have gotten compliments on the sound of my truck due to the exhaust. If nothing else, Flomaster is known for a strong powerful sound.
:rocker:

MGDfan 05-09-2005 07:28 AM

OK

Bigtruck: agreed - beers are on me ;-))

Max-in-the-middle-Mitchell: thanks for the great pix and the sanity check ;-))

Screwed: it's not chrome, it's Stainless Steel .. so they don't rot out or fall off for you to find in your driveway ... which is the best place for flows IMHO... ;-)). And whaddaya mean, you don't polish your undercarriage bits???? Jeezzz, doesn't everyone?

Man, I love this forum!

Cheers!

jhoparmy 05-09-2005 09:50 AM

I keep hearing about the magnaflow exhaust. How does the gibson stainless steel catback system compare? I have had flowmaster and absolutely love it, but the guy that put it on put way to much weld around the seam and it rusted out, gotta love Michigan winters. So I replaced it with a Gibson system. I looked at the magnaflow system but didn't know anything about it and I wasn't a member here at that time. So where are we all going to have a few beers.:D

motometal 05-09-2005 11:16 PM

i'm hesitant to put on an exhaust system just for that reason....loss of low end torque! My favorite thing about the 5.4 is all that great low end! It will accually shift into 4th at low speeds, go to like 1200 rpm and accually accelerate rather than shifting down if you gas it a bit. And for blacktop cruising, it rarely downshifts. My 4.6 was constantly downshifting. Some of that may have been tranny programming.

acefaser 05-10-2005 08:12 PM

Any one have the Super 40 on their 5.4L truck? does the super 40 outperform the 40 or is it just quieter?

mudflinger150 05-10-2005 10:00 PM

Anybody tried those new flowmaster mufflers called hushpower II's. Interested to see what they are like.

MGDfan 05-11-2005 07:25 AM

FlowMaster Hushpuppies ! That's da bomb for reformed straight-pipe rednecks!

Cheers

bigtruck311 05-11-2005 06:07 PM

Re: OK

Originally posted by MGDfan
Bigtruck: agreed - beers are on me ;-))

Man, I love this forum!

Cheers!

agreed beers on you, every one has there own taste and prefrence, i was born and raised on flowmaster and i love them, if you like magnablow than that is your problem:D but i go with what has been tried and true for me i take everyones opinion in stride, now if i was to turbo or supercharge my truck i would try the magies or another straight threw deisign because backpresure would be less of and issue, maybe even zoomies man those things are loud, no hard feelings mgdfan hope your skin is as thick as mine, loved the pic max can i be the bigger bear?

JMTruck 05-11-2005 07:53 PM

I just order some parts for my custom exhaust system. Iwas running a Gibson Supertruck that I think was a good product but I am looking for more sound. So I started to consider the Flowmaster. But since we can run only one muffler at the time and after many many considerations I am going with a set of Stainless JBA's (been sitting in a corner for several months), Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cat's #94306, Magnaflow SI DO muffler #12158 all exiting in front of the rear passenger side tire with two Magnaflow 4" SS 45º slash cut tips.

I think I can get a good sound because of the combination of the headers and the hi flow cats. I will let you know as soon as all this is installed.

If this is not what I am looking for, I'll keep looking around.

Fordtruck 05-11-2005 11:04 PM

Why do you keep calling Magnaflow "Magnablow"?

bigtruck311 05-12-2005 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Fordtruck
Why do you keep calling Magnaflow "Magnablow"?
to get a rise out of MGDfan, he calls flowmaster blowmaster so i just turned it around on him, magnaflow is a good product just to pricey for the difrence to me, no offence to the magnablows

COLOKR 05-22-2005 09:48 AM

Hi guys,

Newbie and proud owner of a two week old 05 King Ranch.

I do not want to fuel the fire but... If the Magnaflow system is a little more expensive than the Flowmaster, yet all SS, and sound not being a major issue wouldn’t the Magnaflow be a better value in the long run? It seem to reason that a SS system would have at least 2 to 3 times the life expectancy of a steel or aluminum system. So I would think the total cost of ownership would be far less for a Magnaflow (or any SS system) over a non-SS system.

GoRacer 05-22-2005 11:03 PM

Borla and Magnaflow are ok

...but I really like Banks for power and the look of the dual rectangular side exiting tips of the Gibson. :rocker:

Has anyone tried either of the two? The banks claims no drone at highway speed which is extremely important for me. My stock exhaust is noiseless.

fourpointsix 05-23-2005 02:34 AM

I have a 40 Series Flowmaster dumped on my truck. Would changing the muffler to a Magnaflow make a significant difference? I have seen almost 2 MPG improvement with the Flowmaster, which leads me to believe it flows just fine. Also, I was curious if anyone has a Dynomax Ultraflow? I am semi-interested in a straight through muffler like a Magnaflow or Dynomax and was wondering if this would make a difference over the Flowmaster? Thanks for your help guys!

APT 05-23-2005 06:54 AM

Banks is good for diesels, but I'd skip for N/A gas.

4.6, I wouldn't bother changing the muffler. You won't change much besides the tone. If anything, lose the mufflers.

misato 05-23-2005 03:45 PM

I have a flow master on my dakota with 3" cat back. It sounds GREAT!
how does the magnaflow sound in comparison? will I be dissapointed with it? I dont want it too quiet. I was thinking of the dual side outlet in front of the rear tire..(on my new 05 screw fx4!!!!!!!! :) )

oh, anyone want to buy a dakota??

GoRacer 05-23-2005 06:41 PM

Why is Banks only good on Deisels? I haven't heard one in person but it states no "drone" at highway speed which is important to me. It also said it was ok for off road. Banks Power Monster Exhaust Borla looks real nice, haven't heard it either but it's very expensive. The Gibson Dual Super is pretty tight but I don't want to sacrifice gas milage, performance or noise for looks.

Eyescream 05-23-2005 06:44 PM

I love the sound of my Magnaflows, but it is quieter than the Flowmaster setups I've heard. You may not like it if you're looking for a more traditional Flowmaster sound.

I don't want to buy a Dakota, but do you know anybody that wants to buy a Superchips tuner for Dodges? I got one for sale that my dad got for me when I was thinking about getting a Dakota. :) My email is eyescream@charter.net

APT 05-24-2005 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by GoRacer
Why is Banks only good on Deisels?

Because that is hwere they spend their money, turbo diesel research.

For well under $400, you can get a the Magnaflow #15821 which has been proven to provide more power than stock at any usable engine speed.