Which muffler provides the most power?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which muffler provides the most power?

Hey guys. I've done searches and read most of the threads but I can't figure out which exhaust provides the most power. I'm going to do a 3' catback on my 5.4L but I can't determine which one to get. Thanks for any input.

Old 05-04-2005, 12:50 PM
There are many opinions on this, but if I am not mistaken Magnaflow is the only catback that showed increased horsepower while not loosing any of your low end torque. After putting my system on, it seems to have given a little more power, but it is not earth shattering. I think to get that kind of power gains you would need to combine a catback with an intake and possibly a chip.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:01 AM
cherry bombs or glasspacks restrict the less because of a straight through design. so this will add some power over a bafle design

Old 05-05-2005, 11:15 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would put Borla and Magnaflow 3" single outlet systems on par for the best performance. Replacing the OEM y-pipe is also a great idea!

Keep in mind replacing the muffler alone or a custom exhaust will not get consistent results.

Old 05-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Would the y-pipe be replaced if I got a 3' catback?

Old 05-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nope.

Hi.

It's a separate piece.

Looks like this:

http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...atalogno=10778

As for catbacks - the #15609 Magnaflow is also available from the same vendor.

Cheers

Last edited by MGDfan; 05-05-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
every one is going to have a diffrent opinion on this unless someone can show you dyno sheets from before and after on all the diffrent mufflers it is really just your prefrence, i recomend flowmaster myself had it on many diffrent vehicles and it has been a awsome system on every one , good luck on whatever you choice

Old 05-05-2005, 01:07 PM
I am leaning more towards flowmaster. I know that there's a couple different ones for an F150, but wich one is better?

Old 05-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
None of 'em... ;-))

If you Searched enough, you'd likely find more complaints than kudos for Flowmaster, and the reverse for Magnaflow , Borla, etc.

As APT and others have stated numerous times - if sound is more important to you than performance, by all means get a Blowmaster.

I chose performance - and I also happen to like the Magnaflow sound.

BigTruck - I don't have a dyno sheet for Maggies - but I do have Mike Troyer's R&D and endorsement. That's enough for me. You trusted him to tune your truck, correct?

It is your truck.

Cheers

Old 05-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Re: None of 'em... ;-))

Originally posted by MGDfan
If you Searched enough, you'd likely find more complaints than kudos for Flowmaster, and the reverse for Magnaflow , Borla, etc.

As APT and others have stated numerous times - if sound is more important to you than performance, by all means get a Blowmaster.

I chose performance - and I also happen to like the Magnaflow sound.

BigTruck - I don't have a dyno sheet for Maggies - but I do have Mike Troyer's R&D and endorsement. That's enough for me. You trusted him to tune your truck, correct?

It is your truck.

Cheers

flowmaster is a great system and everyone who has one that i have talked to loves it, the only ones talking trash are the guys with the magnablows becouse they paid way more than i did for my flowmaster, yes i did trust mike to tune my truck and if he had a contract for selling flowmaster i am sure he would do alot of r@d on them but he doesnt so he does his r@d on the magnablows, f150tucson find one of your friends or someone you work with that has both of the exausts and ask them how they like each one, i am slightly biased because i have been using flowmaster for years and never once had a complaint, i have never used magnaflow but they seem way to pricey for me, it is your truck find something you like and good luck, and MGDfan when you find a guy that has dynoed his truck with both systems and can prove that the magnablow outperform in everyway then i will be a believer will i go and pay the price for the manaflow probably not but we will both have gained knowledge, not trying to bash magnablow but you can keep it and i will keep indorsing flowmaster it has been tried and true for me for many many years

Old 05-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by f150tucson
I am leaning more towards flowmaster. I know that there's a couple different ones for an F150, but wich one is better?
it all depends on how loud you want it to be and if you care if you have a drone at mid rpm(highway driving) if you want a quiter sound go with the 50 series if you want max performance go with the 40 series, i have had my 40 since the truck was new and love it, good luck

Old 05-05-2005, 04:06 PM
I had a Flowmaster ( I don't know which one) on my previous truck which was an Exploder and I loved it. Had no problems what so ever. I'll probably get the 40 series for my new f-150 ( I love saying that) but was just doing some research for some extra power. Thanks for all your input.

Old 05-05-2005, 05:00 PM
i am sure you will love it got the 40 on mine and sounds great, install was easy and the price was right on, good luck and good choice

Old 05-05-2005, 10:59 PM
yeah you paid less for your noflow master because its not stainless like magnaflow is. I can tell you for a fact that magnaflow is a much better system. all stainless, increased power gains. flowmasters dont help much at all, they have been proven not to on many cars and trucks. all they are is for sound

Old 05-06-2005, 07:24 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: None of 'em... ;-))

Originally posted by bigtruck311
flowmaster is a great system and everyone who has one that i have talked to loves it...
Ask them all why they love it? (95% will say sound)

when you find a guy that has dynoed his truck with both systems and can prove that the magnablow outperform in everyway

Troyer has.

"We spent 23 months testing virtually all of the "name brand" cat-back exhaust systems on the market for the Ford F-150 platform, in SISO, SIDO & DIDO configurations. This Magnaflow was the only F-150 system that showed positive torque gains at any throttle position tested, as well as at any rpm. There is NONE of the usual torque loss below 3000 rpm that is so common with almost all truck & SUV cat-back exhaust systems."

How about reverse the table? Show me one custom exhaust or any Flowmaster muffler or cat-back system that has outperformed the Magnaflow? I haven't seen it on 97-03 F-150 in the last 6 years I've onwned them.

Quick Reply: Which muffler provides the most power?