F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Exhaust & Intake Systems (https://www.f150online.com/forums/exhaust-intake-systems-27/)
-   -   Which muffler provides the most power? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/exhaust-intake-systems/196266-muffler-provides-most-power.html)

Fordtruck 05-11-2005 11:04 PM

Why do you keep calling Magnaflow "Magnablow"?

bigtruck311 05-12-2005 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Fordtruck
Why do you keep calling Magnaflow "Magnablow"?
to get a rise out of MGDfan, he calls flowmaster blowmaster so i just turned it around on him, magnaflow is a good product just to pricey for the difrence to me, no offence to the magnablows

COLOKR 05-22-2005 09:48 AM

Hi guys,

Newbie and proud owner of a two week old 05 King Ranch.

I do not want to fuel the fire but... If the Magnaflow system is a little more expensive than the Flowmaster, yet all SS, and sound not being a major issue wouldn’t the Magnaflow be a better value in the long run? It seem to reason that a SS system would have at least 2 to 3 times the life expectancy of a steel or aluminum system. So I would think the total cost of ownership would be far less for a Magnaflow (or any SS system) over a non-SS system.

GoRacer 05-22-2005 11:03 PM

Borla and Magnaflow are ok

...but I really like Banks for power and the look of the dual rectangular side exiting tips of the Gibson. :rocker:

Has anyone tried either of the two? The banks claims no drone at highway speed which is extremely important for me. My stock exhaust is noiseless.

fourpointsix 05-23-2005 02:34 AM

I have a 40 Series Flowmaster dumped on my truck. Would changing the muffler to a Magnaflow make a significant difference? I have seen almost 2 MPG improvement with the Flowmaster, which leads me to believe it flows just fine. Also, I was curious if anyone has a Dynomax Ultraflow? I am semi-interested in a straight through muffler like a Magnaflow or Dynomax and was wondering if this would make a difference over the Flowmaster? Thanks for your help guys!

APT 05-23-2005 06:54 AM

Banks is good for diesels, but I'd skip for N/A gas.

4.6, I wouldn't bother changing the muffler. You won't change much besides the tone. If anything, lose the mufflers.

misato 05-23-2005 03:45 PM

I have a flow master on my dakota with 3" cat back. It sounds GREAT!
how does the magnaflow sound in comparison? will I be dissapointed with it? I dont want it too quiet. I was thinking of the dual side outlet in front of the rear tire..(on my new 05 screw fx4!!!!!!!! :) )

oh, anyone want to buy a dakota??

GoRacer 05-23-2005 06:41 PM

Why is Banks only good on Deisels? I haven't heard one in person but it states no "drone" at highway speed which is important to me. It also said it was ok for off road. Banks Power Monster Exhaust Borla looks real nice, haven't heard it either but it's very expensive. The Gibson Dual Super is pretty tight but I don't want to sacrifice gas milage, performance or noise for looks.

Eyescream 05-23-2005 06:44 PM

I love the sound of my Magnaflows, but it is quieter than the Flowmaster setups I've heard. You may not like it if you're looking for a more traditional Flowmaster sound.

I don't want to buy a Dakota, but do you know anybody that wants to buy a Superchips tuner for Dodges? I got one for sale that my dad got for me when I was thinking about getting a Dakota. :) My email is eyescream@charter.net

APT 05-24-2005 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by GoRacer
Why is Banks only good on Deisels?

Because that is hwere they spend their money, turbo diesel research.

For well under $400, you can get a the Magnaflow #15821 which has been proven to provide more power than stock at any usable engine speed.

ONE04FX4 05-24-2005 07:09 AM

All tests via an independent lab
All tests @ 15” wc

2 “ Straight Pipe 283 CFM
2 ¼ “ Straight Pipe 365 CFM
2 ½ “ Straight Pipe 521 CFM

2 ¼” Typical Bent tailpipe 268 CFM
2 ½” Typical Bent Tailpipe 417 CFM

2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet_ Glass Pack Tips- No Louvers- Smooth 274 CFM
2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet- Glass Pack Tips-Louvered 133 CFM
Same as above set for reverse flow 141 CFM
2 ¼” Cherry Bomb 239 CFM
2 ½” Cherry Bomb 294 CFM

2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Dynomax Super Turbo 278 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Ultraflow Bullet 512 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Gibson Superflow 267 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Flowmaster ( 2 Chamber) 249 CFM
2 ½” Inlet Outlet Flowmaster ( 3 Chamber) 229 CFM
2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet Thrush CVX 260 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Maremount Cherry Bomb 298 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Hooker Aero Chamber 324 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Hooker Max Flow 521 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Borla Turbo 373 CFM
2 1/2" Inlet/Outlet Magnaflow 284 CFM

Standard OEM 2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet 138-152 CFM
Standard OEM 2 ½” Inlet/Outlet 161-197 CFM

GoRacer 05-24-2005 01:35 PM

Deisels have lots of low end torque, so that's not a bad thing that Banks spends most of their research on it. Some of the brands mention "not for towing or off road" use, which would mean a trade off of low end for high end. I allready have a sports car. I am looking for a truck exhaust.

Thanks for those results OneFX4 :thumbsup: too bad it doesn't list the Banks with the 3.5" piping. :drool: Could you post the Banks monster #'s if you have them? So now i'll be looking into the Hooker Max flow, Ultraflow bullet and the Borla Turbo.

Target B 05-24-2005 02:17 PM

I run the Banks Monster on my 05, great deep controlled sound, nice quality; no complaints at all. Installed it myself in less that an hour.

Can't compare vs the other's for power (I only bought the one system) but I'd buy another in a country second.