Glass pack questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glass pack questions

New to the site here. I did some searching and couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I just bought an 89 F150 with a 302 and it has duals without any mufflers or catty. I drive atleast 40/day and it is too loud for the cops around here. I want to keep most of the loud tone, but cut the noise decently. I was wondering if putting a glass pack on each pipe would be good? And for the more specific question, what size (length) and then does brand really matter? Thanks for any input.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:14 PM
The standard 'el cheapo Glass Pack is cheap, can be sized for individual tone (loudness), and may offer small improvements in performance vs stock exhaust. They will get louder with age, and the cheap ones won't hold up very well over time.

I think 12" is the shortest glass pack you can get. It is the loudest. 18" has a pretty loud sound but not ear popping loud.
24" has a more modest sound and is probably the most common size.

I'm not sure if you can go longer than the 24's or not.

There are also a performance glass pack that has been designed to make more horsepower, but it is more expensive. I would suggest doing some google searches to get the jist of the technology and maybe find some older trucks that have these arleady installed, that way you can get an idea of what tone you are looking for.

That is my understanding of Glass Packs, hope it helps.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:17 AM
Glass packs should be your last choice. There are so many good mellow sounding performance mufflers out there. Magnaflow, Dynamax, Flowmaster to name a few.

Problem with glass packs are they slowly blow out and the sound gets louder and louder. You have defeated your purpose. They usually sound obnoxious then too.

Quick Reply: Glass pack questions