Altering my exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 12:18 PM
DMA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Altering my exhaust...

I'm looking at making my first mod to my F-150 SuperCrew, but have no experience at all in doing so.

I have a 2002 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat FX4 with a 5.4L Triton V8 and other than a few interior mods, it is basically stock.

I was thinking about dropping the muffler and switching to dual pipes straight (well, as straight as you can get 'em) from where the muffler was, all the way to the back.

I took it in to Midas the other night to have a look under it and briefly described what I wanted to the tech and he informed me he couldn't do it because at one point or another, the exhaust pipe would have to cross the drive train and that makes it a safety issue.

Was he being honest or just yankin' my chain?

If he was feeding me a line, how else can I get this mod taken care of? Keep in mind I have no experience with welding at all.

Thanx.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be very carefull about modifying the exaust. It is important to buy a good proven system, just changing thing will adversly effect the torque on these engines and cost you performance rather than improving performance. Do some searches magnaflow seems to be one of the better choices, I installed a flowmaster system and love the sound, but my tuner states it is costing me torque. I will have to live with it untill it needs replaced.

Old 01-11-2005, 04:22 AM
Take it to a Small Muffler Shop, not one of those chain stores. Those guys could care less. Take it to a Mom & Pop place and let them look at it.

Anybody that does that type of work should know it can be done.

I have seen them (on the 04's) where the pipe has to go over the axle on the passenger side , then make a 90* around the spare tire, and out the side or rear, whatever the case is.

Im not familiar with an 02, but I will bet that it can be done. Get another opnion.

Hope this helped!!

Last edited by kbldawg; 01-11-2005 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:53 AM
dmallen-

The guy sounds like an idiot. A bazillion people have similar systems to what you described. Most of the manufacturers that make cat-back systems offer SI/SO and SI/DO versions. Generally, they bolt on in front of the muffler at the intermediate pipe and replace everything rearward. Do yourself a favor and buy a pre-engineered cat-back system and skip the drop-out, nub rubbing, gooberfest at Midas.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Max Mitchell,
a man ahead of his times, listen to this guy dmallen, and along with the other mod heads here on the site, but i remember max the most telling me about all the intricate aspects of performance mods on trucks, i really do not think that anyone here would steer you wrong, he helped me when i did my flowmaster mod. i'm running SISO 3 inch pipes, sounds wonderful, as far as torque....? don't care too much. but i will upgrade in the future though.

Old 01-11-2005, 01:17 PM
DMA
Thanx for the advice guyz.

I'll let you know how it turnz out.

Old 01-21-2005, 12:50 PM
DMA
Hey, Max...

Looking at your galleries...

What is the purpose of the oil separator?

Thanx.

Old 01-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Keep this in mind: Straight pipe out the back, while towing, may cause some pretty loud, booming echoes coming off your trailer.

Just a thought, doesn't happen all the time, depends on a number of factors. But it can happen...

Quick Reply: Altering my exhaust...