What is this part called?egr tube??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is this part called?egr tube??

Hey all, I have not been here in a while so I had to re-register. Anyway I need some help figuring out what this part is.
I have a '97 F-1f50
I think from what I could find online it maybe refered to as an EGR TUBE. That sounds kind of cheezy. It is about a 1/2" tube that goes from the drivers side exhaust manifold up to a valve that resembles an EGR valve. near the valve cover area there are a couple of vaccum lines that branch off of it.
First of all.....what is this so I can find a price.
Second...how hard is it to replace????
Mine broke off a couple inches above the manifold. It rusted through. The top looks pretty straight forward, as well as the vaccum lines. I just worry near the manifold getting that rusted portion off.
Do I have to pull the manifold? Will I have to tap the threads?
Any tricks or tips.
HEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPP!
Thanks.....

Old 01-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Welcome back ! Yes, it's the EGR tube. If you have the proper tools you can replace it on the vehicle. Yes, old, rusty ones can be a hassle. Unless damaged, the threads should be fine. Spray it with penetrant, tap on it with a hammer, and let it soak. If you have time, repeat this a few times, then let it soak overnight.

Old 01-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Talking project complete

Well,
It turned out to be pretty painless, however I could see where it could have easily turned into a larger hassle with the amount of corrosion under there.
For starters the part was $65. Removing the connection at the EGR and the 2 vacuum lines was basic. It was just the fitting at the exhaust manifold. I sprayed it with some WD and let it soak and put some heat on it. The slide nut at the flared end was so rusted it just broke right off.
That was the whole problem the slide nut rusted and the flared end just pulled away.
I did not know until I was actually able to remove the part. I suppose knowing that the tube was fine with the exception of the slide nut, I could have just cut it put a new nut on and used a compression fitting to reconnect.....(in a pinch or if $$$$funds were tight).
I was very disappointed to see the amount of rusting at the exhaust manifold and numerous parts under the chasis. After reading through some posts on this site I've learned that it is a common problem with alot of owners.
I dread the day I have to pull off the exhaust manifolds. Those bolts look so bad you can't even tell they are a bolt.
Well, thanks for the vote of confidence. I am fortunate to have a heated garage and a decent selection of tools(This site being one of those tools..) It made the job easier. Back in the day when everything I did was in the driveway would have probably have made it 10 times worse.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Well, that sounds like it worked out well; I'm glad.

Quick Reply: What is this part called?egr tube??