Exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust leak

Hey guys, any tips or tricks for finding an exhaust leak? My 98 5.4L is either leaking at the head or at the collecter for the manifold. The leak stops after the truck as warmed up.

Old 11-27-2004, 01:01 PM
its probably the studs in the head for the manifold.they seem to like to scheer off right at the edge of the manifold.i tried changin mine out but after i broke 2 more tryin to get the manifold off i said to hell with it.5 studs are better than 2.but you can barely hear mine and it hasn't gotten any worse or caused any problems yet

Old 11-27-2004, 09:25 PM
Banned for Use of Multiple Usernames
Use a piece of rubber tubing. Hold one end to your ear and put the other end down around the suspected leaks - you will easily pinpoint the leak.

Old 11-28-2004, 01:13 PM
well,you're gonna have to pull the inner fender to find it anyway and you'll be able to see carbon build up where its been leaking and you'll see that there aren't any studs if they're broken.one of the bolts on my pipe down from the manifold came off a few weeks ago.i torqued the hell out of em when i redid my exhaust but it still vibrated loose.so that's another possibility

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak