Sound from the mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2000, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sound from the mufflers

OK, getting ready now to get that duel put on my 97 F-150. What i want to know is, what will sound the best for what i want....

1. I want to hear it well when i punch it
2. I dont want to hear that much at 75mph though.
3. Performance...what will give me the best HP gain, and MPG gain??

Not in that particular order, but thats what i would like info on....and also, I will be doing true duels...taking it where the factory y goes in, and making that into 2 pipes out the back...thanks for your help!!

Snake12

Old 03-23-2000, 10:10 AM
Sounds like your looking for a Flowmaster 50 series. You didn't say what engine you have. If you do true duals you may need to go to a smaller size exhaust pipe to keep low end torque. I see you live in Co. What are your driving habits? Are you in the mountains most of the time, do you tow, etc.?? You need to consider what you do with your truck before you make a decision on the duals.

------------------
98 Nascar Edition, Superchip, Airaid, Flowmaster 70 series, bedliner, in bed tool box, Profile bug deflector and window vents, Class III receiver hitch.

Old 03-23-2000, 05:40 PM
Well, it is the 5.4 engine. As for driving, I am in the plains, and do go for drives, and would use it to go to Colo Springs to see friends and stuff (about 2 hour drive)....and going to any town, 3 of them 100,000+ are 15 min from here, and 65-75 is the speed limit, and we go to them almost 3-4 times a week....so we would be doing some high speed driving. No Towing at all, we dont have anything to tow...but maybe in a year or 2 we would get a boat, but that is only a maybe since the boating season here is only 5 months, lol.

And for the smaller pipe, how would 2.5" be for both pipes?? or would i rather go 2.25?? I do want duels though, I heard a few that other people had, but they were just straight piped...I think i would rather go with the muffler, give me a little more sound...thanks for the help!!

Old 03-24-2000, 05:30 PM
I am sure we will keep the truck, had the 76 Ford F-150 since 82, lol....then got this one....thanks for the reply!!!

Old 03-25-2000, 12:00 AM
With the 5.4 and your driving habits you probably will be happy with true duals, 2 1/2 in and 2 1/2 out. I would recommend that you install a balance or H pipe. I'm partial to flowmaster and they make some cat back systems which are duals but not true duals, you are going to to have to have it custom made, just don't remove any of the 4 catalytic converters. The flowmasters are heavy duty and will probably last as long as you own the truck but they are exspensive, $60 to $100 per muffler, depending on which one you pick. There are several other performance mufflers which are well made and cheaper, a lot of people are using Dynomax and are pleased with them. Jardine and Gibson make high quality, heavy duty mufflers but they are also exspensive. I would recommend spending a little more on quality work and equipment if you plan on keeping the truck, you won't regret it. Good luck.

------------------
98 Nascar Edition, Superchip, Airaid, Flowmaster 70 series, bedliner, in bed tool box, Profile bug deflector and window vents, Class III receiver hitch.

Quick Reply: Sound from the mufflers