Gibson split rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2000, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can get under the vehicle as it is, then it is do-able. It will make the job a little more difficult, however. If you buy a floor jack, you will need some jack stands, too. I would not trust any floor jack enough to crawl under it. I have ramps, and they should get the truck up plenty high enough--and they are much cheaper. I used a floor jack and stands for my install, though. I bought my system new, and I am sure either the floorjack or ramp will get the truck up high enough. The higher you can get it, though, the easier it will be.

Old 01-29-2000, 12:03 AM
Question

Thanks guys. So it sounds like the only major surgery I have to perform is cutting off the existing exhaust system. Does the Gibson simply clamp on then? I hope to receive the box today (I received the slash tips yesterday!) and see what the instructions say. Wish me luck

--Duke

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat, 4x2, 4.6L automatic Supercab, Styleside, Blue with gold two-tone, 3.55 slip axle, class III towing package, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, leather interior, in dash CD, Ford/Duraliner bedliner, Ford chrome nerf bars, Ford bug deflector, Steel Horse billet grille, Leer hard tonneau cover, Superchip, Airaid, Billet door sills & antennae, Gibson split rear exit

[This message has been edited by Duke (edited 02-02-2000).]

Old 02-03-2000, 12:33 AM
Exclamation

I spoke with a tech from gibson (john) who said that the split rear system is not really made for towing , The system is more a higher rpm system. Just a little info in case some is looking for a system to tow check out the swept side or dual sport, according to gibson these two system will help out more on the botton end.
The tech i spoke to was very help full, in choosing a system.
Thanks john, i wil be ordering a system very soon.

------------------
2000 blk xlt f150 sc 4x4 orp pkg 5.4 3.55 ls tow pkg herculiner ,sony 10 disc cd-player A.R.E. cap remote start

Old 02-10-2000, 08:44 PM
Smile

Well, despite all of this I went ahead and just paid a shop $50 to install it for me. I figured it was cheaper than buying ramps or a jack So, here it is:

http://bloodog.com/#gibson

--Duke

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat, 4x2, 4.6L automatic Supercab, Styleside, Blue with gold two-tone, 3.55 slip axle, class III towing package, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, leather interior, in dash CD, Ford/Duraliner bedliner, Ford chrome nerf bars, Ford bug deflector, Steel Horse billet grille, Leer hard tonneau cover, Superchip, Airaid, Billet door sills & antennae, Gibson split rear exit. My How-To Articles

[This message has been edited by Duke (edited 02-10-2000).]

Old 02-11-2000, 12:13 AM
Cool

That's sweet man!!! Couldn't of made a better choice myself. :-) Oh wait...it is just like mine.

What do ya think? looks? sound? performance?

------------------
'97 F150 4x4 Off-Road Extended Cab Lariat Flareside white/tan, tan leather, 4.6, 3.55

Duraliner bedliner, Husky floormats, Custom seatcovers (I only cover the leather when I'm really dirty, though), Premier single-lid toolbox, Gibson 2.5" split-rear exit cat-back exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Many more modifications to come

Old 02-11-2000, 12:20 AM
Cool

As soon as the mechanic fired up the engine I liked it. I haven't driven it much today due to the rain and slick streets (it rained shortly after it was installed), but the sound is awesome... it looks damn cool and it did seem to have more power when I hit the gas. Between the Gibson, the Airaid and the Superchip, I've noticed dramatic increases in HP & torque. I really like the sound (inside and out) and have only noticed it being borderline annoying around 1700 RPM hitting the gas. Very tolerable, not even worth complaining about. I can't wait to drive it more tomorrow!

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat, 4x2, 4.6L automatic Supercab, Styleside, Blue with gold two-tone, 3.55 slip axle, class III towing package, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, leather interior, in dash CD, Ford/Duraliner bedliner, Ford chrome nerf bars, Ford bug deflector, Steel Horse billet grille, Leer hard tonneau cover, Superchip, Airaid, Billet door sills & antennae, Gibson split rear exit with 3" slash tips, chrome differential cover. My How-To Articles

Old 02-11-2000, 08:54 AM
Oh no Duke! Does this mean we are out of a new "how to" article? Shoot!

No really thats what I did too. I couldn't see crawling around in my gravel driveway for the $40 it cost me to get it up on a lift and have it done right. The place that did mine did not have to cut anything but the old clamp off. Is that how yours went?

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over Gold, 4.6L (Windsor), Automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels (I even got the OR decals now!) MOD's so far: K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster Invader N7 shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps, Cloud Rider Design's SS Grill and bumper opening, Bosch Platinum + 4's, Hayden 30K+ Tranny Cooler,Class III Reece load distributing hitch system and wiring, Electronic Brake controller, Superchip

Old 02-12-2000, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I kind of wanted the experience and to be able to write an article, but at the same time $50 to have someone else do it and watch seemed more enjoyable! He had to cut the pipe 17" back from the muffler, just like the instructions said. The only snag he ran into was the bracket on the left tail pipe had no hole for mounting, so he had to drill a hole into the bracket for the tow package. It took a trained/licensed mechanic 2 hours to do it, so I figure it would have taken me at least 3, probably 4.

I'll stick to how-to articles on things that aren't underneath the truck! I might do one for an anti-sway bar, but even that sounds easy to do.

--Duke

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat, 4x2, 4.6L automatic Supercab, Styleside, Blue with gold two-tone, 3.55 slip axle, class III towing package, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, leather interior, in dash CD, Ford/Duraliner bedliner, Ford chrome nerf bars, Ford bug deflector, Steel Horse billet grille, Leer hard tonneau cover, Superchip, Airaid, Billet door sills & antennae, Gibson split rear exit with 3" slash tips, chrome differential cover. My How-To Articles

Quick Reply: Gibson split rear