F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Exhaust & Intake Systems (https://www.f150online.com/forums/exhaust-intake-systems-27/)
-   -   Gibson split rear (https://www.f150online.com/forums/exhaust-intake-systems/17141-gibson-split-rear.html)

Duke 01-26-2000 04:18 PM

Gibson split rear

Thanks for all of the posts here, from lovemy4x4 and others. I was researching which system to buy: Flowmaster, Borla, Magnaflow, and after looking at their websites and reading all of the posts here I decided to buy the Gibson. I just ordered it today for $260 and plan on installing it myself this weekend. Look for lotsa pics soon at my website (click the link in my sig).

Thanks again,
Duke

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat, 4x2, 4.6L automatic Supercab, Styleside, Blue with gold two-tone, 3.55 slip axle, class III towing package, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, leather interior, in dash CD, Ford/Duraliner bedliner, Ford chrome nerf bars, Ford bug deflector, Steel Horse billet grille, Leer hard tonneau cover, Superchip, Airaid, Billet door sills & antennae, Gibson split rear exit

[This message has been edited by Duke (edited 02-02-2000).]

lovemy4x4 01-26-2000 06:32 PM

glad we could help

------------------
'97 F150 4x4 Off-Road Extended Cab Lariat Flareside white/tan, tan leather, 4.6, 3.55

bedliner
single-lid toolbox
Gibson 2.5" split-rear exit cat-back exhaust
K&N Air Filter

Many more modifications to come

captainoblivious 01-26-2000 09:51 PM

Where did you order from?

Duke 01-26-2000 10:04 PM

Here ya go:

Ordered Part # 9504 Split Rear Gibson Exhaust:

Truckperformance.com
800-719-8100

$259 + $8 Ship + CA Tax

I called around and talked with a local San Diego shops and was quoted prices around $279 up to $310 (un-installed). So, I figured $259 and a few hours was worth it.

I also ordered 2 Slash Tips at $29 each, part #500361. 2.5" inlet, 8" length, 3" outlet size.

If all goes well I'll get it Friday and install it this weekend. And of course, my digital camera will be nearby... https://www.f150online.com/f150board/smile.gif

You may also want to check with Roger Lemere (RLEM1997@aol.com) here at the F150 Online Store. He may be able to get this or anything else for a great price.

--Duke

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat, 4x2, 4.6L automatic Supercab, Styleside, Blue with gold two-tone, 3.55 slip axle, class III towing package, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, leather interior, in dash CD, Ford/Duraliner bedliner, Ford chrome nerf bars, Ford bug deflector, Steel Horse billet grille, Leer hard tonneau cover, Superchip, Airaid, Billet door sills & antennae, Gibson split rear exit

lovemy4x4 01-27-2000 03:43 PM

there is nothing to it. The hardest part was making the adapter and two outlet pipes fit on the muffler. It is a very tight fit. I had to sit on the new muffler and try to wiggle the pipes on to the muffler. (A little WD40 helped, too.) I cut off the old muffler as close as I could--I mean, I cut as little of the head pipe as possible. Also, you will re-use the stock muffler hanger, so make sure not to mess it up. I also layed the new exhaust out on the floor before I did anything. You will be able to tell how everything goes together that way, and MAKE SURE you have all the parts of the new exhaust. Gibson forgot to send me the adaptor that goes from the muffler to the new headpipe. It was a good thing I hadn't already cut off my old exhaust.

I may have made it sound like the install is difficult, but really, it is very strait forward. If you are in a hurry and have a helper, it can be done in less than an hour. My buddy and I took our time, though, and it took about 1 1/2 or 2 hrs.

Good choice on the tips. I have the same ones. They look awesome!!!

------------------
'97 F150 4x4 Off-Road Extended Cab Lariat Flareside white/tan, tan leather, 4.6, 3.55

bedliner
single-lid toolbox
K&N Air Filter

Duke 01-27-2000 04:57 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the tips... I'll let you know how it goes!!

I can't wait... this is one of those add-on toys that adds power and looks pretty darn cool.

--Duke

------------------

PaulT 01-27-2000 05:11 PM

Duke,

Just wanted to add my .02! I installed the Gibson Side Swept single with a friend and it was straight forward! My best advice for removal of the old system is WD-40 and a big screw driver to get the stock hangers out of the rubber grommets! In my opinion, that was the hardest part of the whole install process! Lube them up good and drive the screw driver in from the back side, get the blade even with or infront of the knob on the stock hanger, and pry it off! Those rubber grommets will take a lot of abuse! I tried the gentle approach at first because I was worried about damageing them! Not to worry, I gave out long before they did! I finally resorted to brute force, and they popped right out! Good luck, and I look forward to you documentary!

BTW, I really enjoyed your SuperChips install! I have a copy I'm saving for the day I do that install!

------------------
Paul... :)
99 F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Sliding Rear Window, White, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, WMS Velocity Tube, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner, Gibson Side Swept Cat Back System, F150online Decal...
More to come!

ptarnuzzer@megsinet.net

Duke 01-27-2000 05:22 PM

PaulT, good advice... I will try the gentle approach only for a minute or two before I bring out the sledgehammer https://www.f150online.com/f150board/smile.gif I'm printing all of these great tips so when I am ready I can refer to them. The Gibson should come today or tomorrow and I haven't decided if I'm going to put it on Sat or Sun... either way, expect a lot of pictures and another How-To article!

This is so awesome having all of this knowledge here... from my expriences, everyone here has done something unique to their truck and sticks around to talk about it. I plan on doing the same even though I'm a relatively new member here.

--Duke

------------------

lovemy4x4 01-28-2000 12:03 AM

Duke,
I'm sure PaulT's way will work, but it seems like a lot of work. I just took a DeWalt cordless power saw (a hacksaw will work) and cut the old hanger BELOW the grommets. If you look at your stock exhaust you will see where there is one piece that is bolted to the truck (like an upper hanger), and then the hanger fits into it and is welded to the pipe (lower hanger). I took the whole thing off from where it is bolted to the truck. Then I cut it where I needed to get the old hanger out of the grommets. Then, I simply bolted the "upper hanger" back on the truck. There wasn't much too it. You must BE SURE not to cut it in the wrong place, though. If you do, you will be on your way to the nearest muffler shop to get them to weld it back together, or make a new piece for you. If you are the least bit unsure where to cut it, I would definately go with Paul T's method.

I can't wait to hear how it goes and what you think. Like I have said before, I would not hesitate for 2 sec. to buy another one.

------------------

bedliner
single-lid toolbox
K&N Air Filter

Duke 01-28-2000 12:18 AM

lovemy4x4, since I'm about to embark on the installation of one this weekend, do you have any tips for removal of the old exhaust system and installing the new one? Or is it just simple both ways?

Thanks in advance!
--Duke

------------------

PaulT 01-28-2000 06:49 AM

Duke,

Lovemy4X4 has a point, I did it the hard way simply because I wanted to keep the stock exhaust system in tact! I also had the truck up on a rack, and access was a little easier than crawling around under the truck. Who knows, I may put it back on some day! Good luck!

------------------
99 F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Sliding Rear Window, White, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, WMS Velocity Tube, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner, Gibson Side Swept Cat Back System, F150online Decal...
More to come!

ptarnuzzer@megsinet.net

lovemy4x4 01-28-2000 02:45 PM

Duke,
You got it. The only cutting you should have to do is getting the old exhaust off. I didn't have access to a lift, so I jacked my truck up with floor jacks. Laying on a roller underneath the truck makes it a little more difficult, and that is another reason why I chose to cut my old exhaust. You're right, the Gibson is a bolt on system--about a dozen or so U-bolts. Good Luck--have fun with it.

Duke 01-28-2000 02:54 PM

lovemy4x4, is it managable if I just scoot around underneath, or should I go get a jack? I don't have one, and rather do without it if I can. Thanks again!

PaulT 01-28-2000 05:31 PM

Duke,

I have a 4X2 as well, and I don't think I could have done it without the lift! The tough part would be the clearance needed to snake the old system out over the rear axle! My system was mostly assembled when I installed it (as it came off another truck), so I had to snake the new one in and over the rear axle again! The lift did make it a lot easier! I am lucky enough to have access to one on the local Military Base due to being active duty Air Force! Although they almost wouldn't put the truck on the lift due to the size and odd weight distribution od a pick-up! Good luck on your install!

------------------
More to come!

ptarnuzzer@megsinet.net

Duke 01-28-2000 05:42 PM

Alright--well I saw some 9deg (I think it was 9) ramps at Pep Boys for $30 so I'll either get them or a hydraulic jack for a bit more. I'm going to check with my friend first to see if he has one. Thanks for your help!

--Duke

------------------